Poll

What games would you like to hear about on MBS Shore Leave?

Halo Ground Command
3 (10.7%)
Firestorm Planetfall
4 (14.3%)
Dropzone Commander
5 (17.9%)
Warhammer 40k
3 (10.7%)
Polyversal
2 (7.1%)
Star Wars Legions
7 (25%)
Other
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: May 28, 2019, 06:29:07 pm

Author Topic: Monthly Poll #34  (Read 3064 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Monthly Poll #34
« on: April 28, 2019, 06:29:07 pm »
Greg and I are branching out! We're starting a spin-off podacast called MBS Shore Leave that will allow us to discuss ground-based games without shoe-horning them into the main show. Don't worry, we will still find a way to loop these games back to naval combat by the end of each ep! As we prepare to start this show, we'd like to hear from all of you what kinds of games you'd like to hear about. You can vote for more than one!

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Poll #34
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 11:12:04 am »
Love to find out more about Legions and how it plays, and whether it has a heroic Star Wars feel.

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 09:12:32 pm »

Now that's a great idea! I'd be firmlay in the camp listenign to Pulyversal reports as that seems  a very interesting system.

voidstarsinger

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 05:49:54 am »
ok well i only play dropzone commander on that list so had to vote for that interested in legions as a note osprey put out Horizon Wars which can use any of the mech models form any other minis line ive been thinking about picking that up 
take this ship to where the fire is at its heaviest  that where we can make a difference

Wanjajoral

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 06:25:46 am »
I voted for Planetfall and Dropzone as the scale is great for larger confrontations and the models look great.

But there is one other game that I would like to see discussed as well: Battletech
It is one of the earliest miniature games and still going strong (well, it is a nieche within a nieche, but the community is pretty stable), it just had two new box sets released (with great plastic models) and with the (old) Aerotech there is a nice thematic tie-in to space battles.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 11:21:00 pm »
@RuleBrittania I’m sure we’ll discuss Legion at some point. It is a great game and definitely feels like Star Wars. Plus you get to field Mon Calamari snipers...how cool is that???

@Wanjajoral, good idea! I have to admit I’ve never played Battletech. I like the fluff, have read a few of the books (I’m trying to collect all the MechWarrior Dark Age novels), but the mech designs never really grabbed me. A few are good (like the MadCat), but the majority of the designs just don’t  do it for me. I’m a sucker for mech games, but I prefer mech designs more like what you find in the Titanfall games (Xbox and PC). That being said, I just listened to the guys on the D6G podcast review the latest edition of Battletech, and I think I need to give it a try!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

KazadHarri

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 10:02:09 am »
I went for legions as well, but Dropzone would be my 2nd choice.  40K and the others are covered ad nauseum in other podcasts and forums.  Have you also thought about naval board games? 
/Jeff

Klingsor

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 09:25:10 am »
I am not that interested in any of the games listed except Polyversal which I am curious about. 40K as has already been said is very well covered. Oddly enough despite not playing their games and not liking the background I have been enjoying their official 40K podcast.

Most of the skirmish games I have are fantasy with a few historical but I would like a good SF one. While I have several none of them feels right to me.
While I think very highly of the Too Fat Lardies rule sets no one else in my gaming group is that interested in WW II, the dark ages or the bits in between though the forthcoming fantasy version of their Dux Britanniarum rules might work for them.

However even if I am not that interested in any particular set of rules I can still listen to a podcast about them quite happily and sometimes I end up buying the rules because of the podcast.

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 10:19:08 am »
@RuleBrittania I’m sure we’ll discuss Legion at some point. It is a great game and definitely feels like Star Wars. Plus you get to field Mon Calamari snipers...how cool is that???

You sound so passionate about it on the podcast in snippets, I look forward to a thorough break down at some point.  I'm interested in the Clone wars era, since taht seems to be involve more classic battles with comparable forces compared to the OT's more asymmetric warfare.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 10:16:14 pm »
It really is a fun game. I'm also looking forward to the Clone Wars expanion...I'm probably going to buy enough clones to field the entire Grand Army of the Republic.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 06:44:54 pm »
…  enough clones to field the entire Grand Army of the Republic.

But you'll set aside those emergency powers as soon as the crisis is passed, right? That's what Jar Jar promised for my vote in the Senate.
;-)
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 04:34:34 pm »
I also wouldn't mind to hear a small trip into the world of the Wargame Vault and look at some of the stuff they offer there:

Squad Hammer
Rampant Galaxies
Gruntz 15mm
Laser Storm
Dirtside II
Jovian Chronicles

etc.  Take some time to shed some light on other stuff out there. 

That's why I would be interested in Legion, Planetfall, Dropzone Commander, Battletech, Horizon Wars, as well.   

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:47:44 pm by Easy E »
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 06:17:05 pm »
I also wouldn't mind to hear a small trip into the world of the Wargame Vault and look at some of the stuff they offer there:

Dirtside II
Jovian Chronicles

etc.  Take some time to shed some light on other stuff out there. 

That's why I would be interested in Legion, Planetfall, Dropzone Commander, Battletech, Horizon Wars, as well.   

Yes, I'd vote for these two - The latter because i keep hearing about it but haven't seen it played, ateh former because I do play it when I can, and it has a solid link to Full Thrust, in that the games can be linked into campaigns for planetary assualt and moving troops from system to system.

voidstarsinger

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 05:51:09 am »

Gruntz 15mm

Dirtside II

these are two solid games, played gruntz a bit good game and a game where you can pick any minis you like---riftsinger
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:24:29 am by riftsinger »
take this ship to where the fire is at its heaviest  that where we can make a difference

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 03:34:09 pm »
…  enough clones to field the entire Grand Army of the Republic.

But you'll set aside those emergency powers as soon as the crisis is passed, right? That's what Jar Jar promised for my vote in the Senate.
;-)

Of course, of course (he said while doing the Jedi hand-wave).