Author Topic: Missiles vs Torpedoes?  (Read 1404 times)

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
Missiles vs Torpedoes?
« on: June 03, 2017, 03:08:22 am »
This mostly applies to space navy settings, does anyone have a hard and fast rule for which name is appropriate when?
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
Re: Missiles vs Torpedoes?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:54:15 am »
No
I think of torpedoes with ships though
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 188
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 01:20:27 pm »
There is no consistent convention on what constitutes a missile vs. what constitutes a torpedo in Sci Fi, from what I've seen.

IRL, a missile is generally used to describe a guided munition that flies through the air (unguided munitions being just "rockets"). Torpedoes, on the other hand, are munitions that are propelled though the water, and may or may not be guided.

The thing is, there is no difference in mediums when it comes to space (ie, no "water" or "air"). Therefore, any propelled and guided munition could be considered either a Torpedo, a Missile, or both! From what I've seen, it really comes down to what kind of feel a particular writer or game creator wants to evoke in their setting; "torpedo" has a stronger connection to historical naval warfare, while "missile" has a more technological advanced feel. Dropfleet makes interesting use of both terms; Missiles are short-range weapons that are fired en masse, while torpedoes are giant single-shot ship killer weapons.

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 03:56:43 pm »
Thanks, that does make things a little clearer.
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 10:20:36 pm »
torpesiles
mispedoes
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Klingsor

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 05:58:00 am »
In space they would basically be the same thing. I think of torpedoes as basically just larger, maybe capital ship weapons, but alternatives are:
Missiles for guided and torpedoes for unguided – but why not just call the rockets then? Unguided projectiles seem a bit unlikely as well for anything but stupidly short ranges.
Torpedoes as larger, smarter and survivable with a degree of shielding. I think Drop Fleet veers this way.
Torpedoes for space and missiles for attacking planets.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 03:18:03 pm »
Aesthetically, the term "Torpedo" wins. Compare saying "hoton Torpedoes" to "Photon Missiles"

And as any 40K player knows, calling anything a Missile seems to emphasize the "Miss" part. :-)

Plus, in all the space saga variety out there, the more naval terms always win out on cool factor.

I do like the short range spam (missile) vs long range ship-killer (torp) that Ruckdog points out. It fits with Bttlefleet Gothic too...
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Jack Brown

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 04:05:44 pm »
I always think "missiles". Probably comes from playing a lot of Starfire.

That and the Honor Harrington books. The later battles where the fleets start throwing around Webers of missiles at each other. :)