Author Topic: MBS Podcast Episode 74: 2022 in Review and Looking Forward to 2023  (Read 414 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!

Andy is back with the first episode of the MBS Podcast for 2023! In this episode, he takes a look back at 2022, and discusses some things he is looking forward to in 2023.

https://manbattlestations.libsyn.com/episode-74-2022-review-and-looking-forward-to-2023[/img]

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
Re: MBS Podcast Episode 74: 2022 in Review and Looking Forward to 2023
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 10:55:28 pm »
I feel attacked!  A lot of loyal naval gamers / modelers may have bought some Epic Battles in place of Victory at Sea this year, but it was only a few sprues, it didn’t mean anything.

I am also eagerly awaiting my Leviathans pledge, and feel that it will have the largest impact over the next year or two in the naval sphere.  As much as I like Armada, Mantic is still years away from having the same kind of US distribution that Catalyst has already built, and even through my rose-colored glasses, I can also honestly say that they will never have the multi-channel reach that Catalyst enjoys thanks to their publishing history.  Two year exclusive promotional runs at Barnes & Noble are basically unthinkable for any other miniature producers except for GW, who would rather promote their own storefronts, or Asmodee, who does not have a great record currently on boosting either of their legacy naval(-) games despite the Star Wars license.

Will Leviathans be riding on the coattails of the Catalyst / BattleTech renaissance… of course, but that is not necessarily a bad thing, and we could all see Great War starter boxes on game and book store shelves for years to come.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 11:18:06 pm »
No personal attacks were implied or intended, I assure you  ;D

Will Leviathans be riding on the coattails of the Catalyst / BattleTech renaissance… of course, but that is not necessarily a bad thing, and we could all see Great War starter boxes on game and book store shelves for years to come.

That would be my fondest wish! I think this game has some great background to it, and some real potential to have retail legs. At the same time, I wouldn't be shocked to see it miss it's fall 2023 release window and slip to '24...

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 10:20:17 am »
With Cruel Seas, Black Sails, and Victory at Sea; I feel like Warlord is trying to carry the flag for Naval wargamers!  Especially true if you lump aircraft games into "Naval" like Blood Red Skies.  Not sure how I feel about that but there you go! 

If you ever need a co-host or anything, let me know.  I am happy to help.   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing