Author Topic: ...and he never painted again...  (Read 1635 times)

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
...and he never painted again...
« on: October 21, 2021, 11:22:28 pm »
I started my 25K Star Wars project as a New Year's resolution to start painting, and have finally made my original goal...

...one ship a day, every day, to reach 365 by the end of the year.  Including the fighter tokens, I am now past 365, and with 70 days to spare that I will need to finish out my storage for these, finalize the basing, and cover up the mistakes I saw while setting up the shot.

I was planning on sealing everything after the end, but there is no way that I can have them coated before the weather turns so the new plan is hope any issues with paint damage are minor until spring arrives.  But then again, quantity is always my choice over quality (see above) so I may not seal them at all.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
Re: ...and he never painted again...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 08:27:22 am »

. . . Magnificent. Absolutely magnificent.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 06:38:51 pm »
Amazing job! It's been fun watching this progect come together over the course of the last year, and it's truly impressive seeing them all lined up together like this! Good on you for sticking to it the way you have.

Regarding sealing, do you have an airbrush? If so, then you could always spray your varnish on that way. You generally don't get the same effects from humidity with air brushing that you get from rattle-cans.

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 10:31:04 am »
Fantastic work and a great accomplishment!  I look forward to seeing them in some battles soon!   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Kelly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 07:03:12 pm »
Thank you all for the comments and compliments…

Regarding sealing, do you have an airbrush?

…I do have an airbrush that I use basically only for priming, but I have to spray outside due to the layout of my house not having any room in which I can realistically use the brush indoors.  The real limitation is my tolerance of humidity and temperature more than the airbrush’s tolerance.   :(

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 04:37:40 pm »
WOW!  That is awesome.  I can't get one ship painted in 365 days...

Kelly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 01:46:37 am »
One last group of 25K ships that made it in under the line for 2021...

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 10:21:39 am »
Impressive.  Good detail on such a small scale.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Kelly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 01:42:24 am »
No resolution from 2022 and it shows...

...a lot of storage space was taken up, but only 38 more 25K ships were finished through the year.  There were several reasons, including reworking prior paint choices, and the careful observer could note that not a single ship was shown with an angle past 60 degrees (I cannot stand painting engine glow).  Since I was going back over a good number of the ships, I decided to try on lighting their thrusters as well just with the simplest method, but 400 2mm circles later I was barely halfway through the set and totally burnt out.

I started moving through Armada during breaks from above, but again only 10 ships were finished in the year.  With the additions I was putting in, progress was slow, and multiple repairs / new reinforcing wires were needed after almost every ship.  The PSBs proved to be a distraction, and led me astray as I ended up modeling and painting 64 non-crew figures across 4 different scales instead finishing off any Armada fleets.

Overall, not a great naval year with 48 regular, but I did get a good start on another 114 models that may work with ships, I just am not sure if they are worth a mention yet.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 12:29:13 am »
Well, if it makes you feel better you can always go with "2022 was a year of quality over quantity" ;). Great work as usual, and I must say it's more minis than I was able to complete last year!

Kelly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2023, 02:43:24 pm »
Another year with no resolution for ship painting, and another drop in numbers.  Armada had another 17 ships with my third fleet of Dwarves well on the way to being finished…

Only one more Clone Wars 25K ship was added, the second Praetor that was only printed to fill out the build plate of the first, as there are not that many others from the period that I have any interest in modeling...

A new project for Halo Fleet Battles was started this year, with a pair of Marathons and a pair of Valiants so far (one Marathon not pictured due to either being lost in slipspace, or having walked off with one of the children)…

The main cause of the lower counts this year was a four month distraction (so far) of 15mm infantry blocks, but I think with 300 done so far, the bulk of that project is on the way to being finished, and I can get back to more ships.  Overall, just 149 ships painted this year, with 127 of those being small scale concepts that still are not ready for photography yet, so my only real goal for 2024 is rounding those out and working out final measurements for them to either be done or dropped.

Happy New Year all!