Author Topic: Spartan Announces DW 2.0!  (Read 4238 times)

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Spartan Announces DW 2.0!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 10:58:17 am »
I have heard that the current models are still in play as well. I didn't mind the originals, and mixing them with the newer styles i feel is a pretty good idea. Overtime the factions would have gotten better and better in weapon system design, though these would be sparse compared to the options created at the start of the conflict. Sadly, all of my ships would be retrofitted from the former burning husks retrieved from my defeats  ::)

Found this and thought it was rather interesting:

The entire Crit Table has changed to fit the new system

The Magazine Explosion now does 2+D3 HP loss for example....and the Explosion only rocks those around you if the model is removed as a result of the Crit happening....so no more 1st Turn/1st Activation Battleship removal...... its not fun for anyone when that happens.
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 01:33:36 am »
2+d3 Hit Points?
3-7 HPS, not AD
Well, it IS a magazine explosion

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 11:18:55 am »
At some point, some time ago, on the Spartan forum there was some discussion about activating squadrons according to size... so you can't activate any of your battleships until after you have moved all of your small and medium ships already.  I tried a game using that as a house rule, and it certainly made a more realistic, although predictable, game (no small ships colliding with a friendly battleship which just turned into their 2" straight forward movement).

Looking forward to getting my hands on the new book!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 10:33:21 pm »
I have heard that the current models are still in play as well. I didn't mind the originals, and mixing them with the newer styles i feel is a pretty good idea. Overtime the factions would have gotten better and better in weapon system design, though these would be sparse compared to the options created at the start of the conflict. Sadly, all of my ships would be retrofitted from the former burning husks retrieved from my defeats  ::)

Found this and thought it was rather interesting:

The entire Crit Table has changed to fit the new system

The Magazine Explosion now does 2+D3 HP loss for example....and the Explosion only rocks those around you if the model is removed as a result of the Crit happening....so no more 1st Turn/1st Activation Battleship removal...... its not fun for anyone when that happens.

Hee hee, I've had one of these events in both of my last two games. In one, Long Nine ME'd a cruiser that proceeded to take 5 corvettes with it. In the other, CDR G ME'd a Gunship, and it took two cruisers with it! While entertaining, these events can be somewhat frustrating at times...

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 07:39:36 am »
2+d3 Hit Points?
3-7 HPS, not AD
Well, it IS a magazine explosion

Yup, losing a random amount of hull points is pretty interesting. I like it! Games where you or your opponent loose a BB in turn 1 or 2 tend to not be as fun. Although, mediums are in for a world of hurt. Even the new models with their in rescued HP ratings are in danger. Only faction I feel will come out of this rule change on top are the EotBS with the higher values.

At some point, some time ago, on the Spartan forum there was some discussion about activating squadrons according to size... so you can't activate any of your battleships until after you have moved all of your small and medium ships already.  I tried a game using that as a house rule, and it certainly made a more realistic, although predictable, game (no small ships colliding with a friendly battleship which just turned into their 2" straight forward movement).

Looking forward to getting my hands on the new book!

It is a bit predictable, but most of the time I like to run this tactic. Come closer, closer, clooooser...LEAD!!! Though following the turn I like to have them activate first to deal more damage before being fired on again. Looking forward to seeing how this impacts the game. Having control over when and how your models move is dear to my FSA heart. How dare some gov'ment men come in and tell me how to move my ships. Secede!
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 09:02:53 pm »
I like to activate my toughest squadron first
They tend to have the best range
Most able to take hits
And when the enemy shoot at a squadron that has already activated, those that haven't are un damaged when they do activate
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 11:43:23 pm »
I got this email a few days ago, but I thought I would re-post it here:

The Spartan Office has been full of Dystopian Wars chatter over the last few months while we have all been getting to grips with the new edition of our Victorian Super Science Fiction tabletop rules. Evil laughs and frantic army list writing filled the building as grand plans were concocted and the inevitable scheming alliances made.

At the centre of this frenetic activity was the Commodore Edition 2.0 Hardback Rulebook. At a whopping 320 pages thick, this beast is a tome and a half. A common question we get asked is: what is the difference between the Admiral and Commodore rulebook?

The Admiral Edition is 148 pages, softback and focuses on the core rules of the game. No background, no statistic pages - just the entire core gaming engine. It is ideal to slot into your gaming bag and take to your Dystopian Wars gaming nights.

The Commodore Edition is the all singing, all dancing version. Stepping in at 320 pages this is the heavyweight contender. This hardback book has a faux leather finish, ribbon, embossed finish, background section, entire core rules and a massive statistics section covering Naval, Aerial and Armoured Battle Groups for the seven core nations. Stacked full of artwork, colour photography, highly detailed renders, background articles and of course our 2.0 game engine, this is the ultimate Dystopian Wars gaming aide.

So, while we're on the subject, let's take a closer look lies within the pages of this fabulous new Hardback book.

A World At War

The world of Dystopian Wars is as rich and varied as the Nations that fight over it. The Commodore Edition Rulebook explores the events that led to the war, as well as the key battles and political struggles that continue to feed the fires of worldwide destruction. The book also explores the seven major Nations who fight for supremacy, taking a look at the history of these great nations, their military might and the political machinations that helped them to become world super-powers.

The background section of the Commodore Edition also discusses the other Nations involved in the war, be they Grand Coalition, the Imperial Bond or choosing to remain a Free Nation whose sole interest is themselves.

Let Battle Commence

The Commodore Edition Rulebook contains the full game rules for you to play Dystopian Wars in any theatre of war at any level. They are broken down into four distinct Sections to help make learning the rules even simpler than before.

Each of these Sections will take you through the rules step by step and introduce all of the elements of the game in a structured and understandable manner, with plenty of diagrams to help explain the more complex situations.

The new page design and layout makes it very quick and easy to navigate your way round the rules sections of the Commodore Rulebook. This, combined with the in depth Contents and Index pages, mean you will be leading your forces to victory on the tabletop in no time.

Knowledge is Power

The Commodore Edition Rulebook comes with all of the statistics for the Naval, Armoured, and Aerial Battle Groups for the seven major Nations.

Each model has the familiar statistics table containing all of the vital information such as Weapon Strength/Dice, Movement Value, Hull Points and so on, and information on the full range of upgrades available for that model such as bigger, better weapons and advance technology in the form of different generators.

We have also added a digital render of each of the models from both the side and the top for quick identification when scanning through the book. These statistics will prove vital not only in learning how your army will act on the battlefield, but also to show you the capabilities of your enemy (it never hurts to get a bit of an advanced warning!)

The Commodore Edition at a glance: