Author Topic: Spartan Announces DW 2.0!  (Read 4237 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Spartan Announces DW 2.0!
« on: April 09, 2014, 02:09:22 pm »
Got this in my email this morning:

Dystopian Wars 2.0: The best just got better!

Spartan Games is pleased to announce the release of Dystopian Wars 2.0

We kick off this release with news of the Dystopian Wars 2.0 Hardback Rulebook 'Commodore Edition'. This 320 page hardback book pulls together all aspects of a game that has, since its release in 2010, literally exploded onto gaming tables around the world.

Our exhilarating take on Victorian Super Science Fiction details a world at war, with the world's super powers waging a brutal war in the air, on land and at sea. Giant machines of war, often hundreds of feet tall, are called to action, with commanders across the globe battling for supremacy and the fate of their nation.

The key focus for the 2.0 book has been improved clarity of the rules, the speeding up of overall game play and to give gamers the ability to field, and therefore play, with larger forces on the tabletop. Our design team have worked to keep the game the 'same' for our customers, whilst simultaneously looking to improve on all aspects of the rules engine.

Inside the book players will find a comprehensive background section that covers the core seven nations of the Dystopian Wars world, along with statistics for 21 Battle Groups, encompassing Air, Land and Sea for each of them. These will be further supported by a series of free to download PDFs for each nation and all Alliance nations, allowing Dystopian Wars players to easily move to the new game mechanics.

Later in 2014 three new Alliance Hardback Books (Imperial Bond, Grand Coalition and Free Nations) will arrive for gamers to add to their collections. These books will further enhance the Dystopian Wars setting, allowing gamers to look ahead to even more exciting expansions to our world.

The Commodore Edition at a glance:
320 pages
Faux Leather Cover with Gold Blocking Inlay
Page Marker Ribbon
Brand new design and layout
Stacked full of full colour photography
Enhanced game engine
Comprehensive core nation backgrounds
Multi-Player Rules
Statistics for 21 Battle Groups: Air, Land And Sea

This release will be shipping from 14th May 2014. Place your pre-orders today with the Spartan Games Online Store to ensure you do not miss out on these exciting new releases.

But wait .......there's more!

In case the new rulebook wasn't enough excitement for you we also are pleased to announce the first Dystopian Wars Two Player Boxed Set

Here is a quick taster:

Ships are vanishing without a trace...
Rumours of a mysterious 'Ghost Ship' are whispered by merchant crews...

Set in the waters around South America, Operation Shadow Hunter pits two bitter enemies against each other: the Empire of the Blazing Sun and the Federated States of America.

In territory that once belonged to the Republic of Argentina, the forces of the Empire of the Blazing Sun are once again on the move. Their plan is complex, their overall objective still a secret, but the dice have already been rolled and the battle lines drawn. The eastern forces have a new and deadly ally. The infamous Wani have returned from exile, contributing never-before-seen technology to seal their new pact of service with the Empire.

To the north, the Federated States of America has responded with speed to the loss of its own vessels, both military and civilian. In a bid to counter the mysterious 'Ghost Ship' the chief scientists of this great nation have accelerated development of their own secret weapon - the Boston Class Submersible - and the American Admirals are eager to prove it in battle. Designed to engage and destroy even the most formidable enemy ships, the Boston Class comes armed with the latest advanced weaponry and a complement of Assault Subs.

The scene is set for lethal conflict as two of the deadliest naval forces on the planet clash in the once calm waters off the coast of Brazil.

Inside this packed Dystopian Wars Boxed Set you get:

1 x 128 Page 'Admiral Edition' 2.0 Rulebook (softback)
1 x 32 Page A5 Campaign Booklet
3 x A4 'Punch Out' Scenery Sheets
3 x A5 Tokens and Templates Sheets
15 x Standard Game Dice
6 x Micro Dice (each: Red, White and Green)
1 x Large Wani Forward Deployment Base

Empire of the Blazing Sun Forces
1 x Kaiju Class Heavy Battleship (new model!)
1 x Wani Terror Ship - Solid resin Model (new model!)
1 x Wani Terror Ship - Clear resin  Model (new model!)
3 x Honshu Class Cruisers (each with three drop-ons) (new model!)
4 x Uwatsu Class Frigates
5 x Fujin Class Corvettes
5 x Support Aircraft Wings
1 x Support Aircraft Squadron Movement Tray (new model!)

Federated States of America
1 x Liberty Class Battleship (new model!)
1 x Boston Class Large Submarine (new model!)
1 x Boston Class Submarine (Submerged Base) (new model!)
6 x Turtle Class Assault Submarine Tokens (new model!)
3 x Georgetown Class Cruisers (new model!)
4 x Augusta Class Frigates
5 x Revere Class Corvettes
5 x Support Aircraft Wings
1 x Support Aircraft Squadron Movement Tray

Don't miss out on these fantastic new Dystopian Wars 2.0 products, avoid disappointment and  head over to our online store to pre-order them now. Don't forget to tell your Local Gaming Store about our new and exciting Dystopian Wars products. There has never been a better time to join (or even start!!) a world war...

So, to summarize, there will be a new hardback book that rolls all 7 core fleets into it, and a 2-player starter set with lots of new models. Looks pretty good!

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
Re: Spartan Announces DW 2.0!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:19:24 pm »
Seems to me only some of the ship profiles will be in the core rules
3 battle groups per 7 core factions for a total of 21
1 air, 1 land, 1 sea, Lille just the models in these box sets
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:32:40 pm »
I think you might be right...still, that is quite a bit! I think this is the first time that all 7 core nations will be collected into one spot, so that will be handy for reference. What do you make of the "PDFs available for download" line? It may be referencing to the expansion/upgrade ships, but it also points to what my be significant stat line modifications and/or price changes.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 10:02:43 pm »
I'm just stoked that the Americans are getting a new battleship, AND A FREAKIN' SUBMARINE!!

And, of course, more Japanese targets... :)
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:12:35 am »
Hee hee, I hear you on the subs! I'm going to have to get a couple, that's for sure. I do like the idea of making alternate ship classes for major types; it allows for a neat way to expand and differentiate the various fleets. It also addresses one issue I had with the first 4 core nations; they are very "samey" in that basic stats were carried over for basic ship types from one faction to the next. By making alternate models, players can customize their forces much better.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 07:48:15 am »
I just pre-ordered the new rules.
I am psyched about the new FSA models. I am hoping the new FSA and EotBS models are available in their own box sets. I don't want and can't afford, the EotBS fleet. I have more than I can use now.
I wonder what they did to the FSA cruisers? They look shorter. Add a built in Kinetic generator?
The new BB looks to have more, or at least different, broadsides and AA.
The TF movement trays will be nice, though I have a bunch of clear ones.

There is plenty of room to re-organize and clarify the rules. Are there any specific rules issues people are looking to resolve?
For me it includes: the Activation Sequence (just which combinations produce simultaneous AA attacks with TFTs and flying models), air launched torpedoes while over land/island, Swarm Tactics (how many +2 Ads can one squadron get?) and Tiny Target rules vs small submersibles when submerged. I never did get a clear answer on impaired firing ARC- just used common sense, (if the limits of the firing arc prevent you from "seeing" the middle through at least one end of the target model--THEN you get a penalty).
It seems like different MARs give the exact same effect for boarding.
And so it goes.

Streamlining will be interesting--THAT could change the flavor of the game in a big way. Hope it is a good thing.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 10:35:59 am »
The Ack-Ack! I had forgotten about that one, good suggestion. I would say, though, that based on the TFT movement trays SG is making, it doesn't look like they are contemplating too many radical changes to how they work. I do hope they make them faster, however; it still doesn't sit well with me that surface models like Frigates are zipping around faster than airplanes!

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 06:22:00 pm »
Wow. Xmas in April! Preordered both the new book, and the Shadow Hunter box. Very very exciting stuff looks to be coming to the DW universe. Not sure if any saw, but under the play testers thread on the spartan page, several of the minds behind 2.0 have been answering questions/giving sneak peeks at the new rules and modifications.

There are also some new photos of the models at the link below.
http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/9448-dystopian-pics-from-salute/
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 09:03:02 pm »
Thanks for the link! Looks like there is a lot of nice stuff on the way for all the factions. The new FSA models seem to be brining the rest of their range in line with the FSA dread's aesthetic, which is interesting. It also looks like the major factions are going to be getting "battle carriers" to replace/supplement their dedicated carriers; the new PE one looks like it is based on the PE dreadnought hull!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 09:19:43 pm »
I really like the new sculpts for the FSA.  Lots of the others look good too, might have to pick up an EotBS fleet.  I was already contemplating making the Japanese my next force for Dystopian Legions.

To quote someone from the Spartan community forums:

"I feel a great disturbance in my wallet...as though a couple hundred dollars cried out and were silenced."

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 09:49:06 pm »
Hee hee, tell me about it. It is actually a double-whammy for me, since GW is also releasing a scad of new Imperial Guard models (or, excuse me, Astra Militarum models ::)) at about the same time. Good thing for me my birthday is in May!

The new sculpts have me tempted to start a EotBS fleet too. I really like the tweaked look these new sculpts bring to the table. They are much more industrial looking. Plus, that cruiser with the swappable section looks like it will add some interesting customization options to the faction. Of course, the new PE ships are no slouches either in the looks department! It is impressive how Spartan continues to up the ante as far as model detail goes. These new generation DW sculpts make their 1.0 counterparts look as plain as the first generation of Firestorm models!

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 12:14:42 pm »
Thanks for the link! Looks like there is a lot of nice stuff on the way for all the factions. The new FSA models seem to be brining the rest of their range in line with the FSA dread's aesthetic, which is interesting. It also looks like the major factions are going to be getting "battle carriers" to replace/supplement their dedicated carriers; the new PE one looks like it is based on the PE dreadnought hull!

No prob on the link. Agreed on the design style of my beloved FSA going the dread route. Very industrial. From the rumblings i have heard thus far it sounds like they are a little higher on the HP side. Which is great as when taking on some of the newer models the EotBS got in 1.1. Loving the new combat carriers as well. Sheesh, all of the new sculpts are intense!

I'm a May baby as well, Ruck. Not a bad gift from Spartan to us! Maybe they will ship with candles... ;D

"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 09:44:38 pm »
Increased HP values you say...interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing 5 HP become the standard for cruisers. They really seam to suffer against the gunships, armored cruisers, and battle cruisers running around out there, to the point where I avoid taking them if possible.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 10:14:42 pm »
Increased HP values you say...interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing 5 HP become the standard for cruisers. They really seam to suffer against the gunships, armored cruisers, and battle cruisers running around out there, to the point where I avoid taking them if possible.

So you say.  Seems like every time I take my FSA gunships, they're the first things to get sunk.  My cruisers, on the other hand, are survivors.  Maybe it's because I still haven't painted the gunships, and they have no will to live.

Last Rites:  agreed on the new industrial look for the FSA.  The paddle wheels look much beefier, more heavily armored.

Here are some links to other painted pics and renders I've found:

Halfway down the first page on this forum thread:  http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/9406-20-is-here/

And here too:
http://www.spartangames.co.uk/sneak-peak-at-salute
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:24:51 pm by Landlubber »

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 05:27:33 am »
Neat! It is interesting to see the new models broken out individually like that.

One of the points brought up by BasicBob in the SG forum thread you linked to is that all the 1.0 and 1.1 ships will still be playable, even desirable in 2.0. It is gratifying to know all of my previous painting efforts will not be for nought! It does point to a re-stating of the earlier models, though.