Author Topic: X-Wing 2nd Edition  (Read 1230 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
X-Wing 2nd Edition
« on: May 01, 2018, 03:39:06 pm »
Looks like FFG is preparing to launch a revamp of X-Wing:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/1/x-wing-second-edition/

The new features, especially the Force powers, sound pretty cool. It will be interesting to see if this move will hurt the game’s reputation with its community, though! While the current rules have lasted 6 years, which is a good lifespan for an edition of a Miniatures game, my impression is that a fair number of X-wing players aren’t used to the edition treadmill of minis games, so this might leave those folks a bit cold. I’m also surprised by the timing; this seems like something they’d announce at Gencon in the In Flight report. The want to sell it there, however, so I guess they want to start generating buzz for it.

Toxic_Rat

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 13
  • Spartan_FA_Mike in a previous incarnation
    • View Profile
    • Firestorm Armada Fleet Manager
Re: X-Wing 2nd Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 11:51:42 pm »
Sounds like conversion kits will be $50 per faction...ouch.  That's pretty steep for those that have multiple factions. 
Nos Habere Ad Aetheres

Draco84oz

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
  • E = MC....let me get my notepad...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:35:13 am »
If this is 2nd edition, what was the blue box Force Awakened update supposed to be?

Also, USD$50 per set - that's AUD$210 for all three. And they don't include conversions for the huge ships.

*groan*

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 12:54:40 am »
Well, I've only glanced through it, but my initial thoughts...

Those big conversion kits that have two of everything aren't a good idea. I have 4 X-Wings and no K-Wings. Do they expect me to pay $100 to get enough stuff to convert those 4 X-Wings, and be left over with a bunch of crap I can't use? If they're smart, they'll sell the conversion kits individually.

I like the idea of "refining" each faction to fly/handle differently, but it's going to be a pain (and possibly a lot of expense) to convert all the starfighters I have to be useable in 2nd Edition. And I don't know if I play the game enough to bother with it.

Ah well...I'm sure I can find opponents to play first edition...
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 01:50:36 pm »
I bought my first single fighter for X-Wing so I'm happy to give it a spin Greg!