Author Topic: Status of Spartan Games  (Read 5679 times)

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: Status of Spartan Games
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 06:44:39 pm »
PS I am Wayland's MD.

Welcome Rich!

Were you the gent on D6 Generation a few episodes back? That combined with the amazing GenCon booth has given a very hopeful cast to this acquisition of the Spartan assets.

If you are amenable, would you consider a quartet of questions?

1) Will initial plans be to keep the current former Spartan materials in print, or to pursue a full redesign immediately?

2) Would any redesign/reissue proceed from the work to date on DW 2.5, Firestorm 3, and whatever was in the can for Planetfall? Or would any redesign go for a more comprehensive system overhaul?

3) Are there discussions yet on truly fleshing out the Firestorm universe and races? I've bemoaned for years the lack of artwork and clear descriptions of the races.

4) Are there any discussions of merging WWX and Dystopian Wars?  I feel like the DW background is vague enough, or certainly new enough, that few would (should?) mind a little retconning. Just the idea of the Black Wolf now being Rani Nimue, or alternately Capt Nimue getting her own squadron box for DW, gets me fired up. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to drop in here!

-Dale
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

WestAustralian

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 07:45:41 pm »
Excellent News about the Acquisition.
Plastic of Resin, whatever, as long as it's not white metal.
It is going to be a really tough set of games to kick off.
Where to even start? I just hope the community gives them lots of time to get each system represented.
Spartan is gone, but I still Paint on.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 10:09:33 pm »

PS I am Wayland's MD.

Welcome aboard Rich! Glad you've found Man Battlestations, and I hope you don't mind getting peppered with questions.

Really looking forward to what Warcradle has in store for the Dystopian and Firestorm systems!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 11:17:30 pm »
I just watched the Warcradle video on Beasts of War. I like that one of the guys in the video (Stuart I think) said he owns an RoF fleet for Dystopian Wars, a Relthoza fleet (and one other I can't remember) for Firestorm Armada, a land force for Dystopian Wars, and even some Dystopian Legions miniatures--AND a fleet for Uncharted Seas. Sounds like these guys are real fans of the game systems.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 12:55:58 am »
Rich,

2 more questions:

5) will war cradle host a forum to get customers/ players feedback or will you frequent indie forums such as here?

6) will you move forward with the firestorm universe fluff as is or will you change it (tweaks vs overhaul) when armada 3.0 and planetfall 2.0 is released? A new map? Realignment?
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

RuleBritannia

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 03:49:59 am »
Rich, any chance you could or have purchased the last two campaign books by Franco?  They sound great but seem to be stuck in the Kickstarter blackhole.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:53:46 am by RuleBritannia »

Rich1231

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 04:21:32 am »
PS I am Wayland's MD.

Welcome Rich!

Were you the gent on D6 Generation a few episodes back? That combined with the amazing GenCon booth has given a very hopeful cast to this acquisition of the Spartan assets.

If you are amenable, would you consider a quartet of questions?

1) Will initial plans be to keep the current former Spartan materials in print, or to pursue a full redesign immediately?

2) Would any redesign/reissue proceed from the work to date on DW 2.5, Firestorm 3, and whatever was in the can for Planetfall? Or would any redesign go for a more comprehensive system overhaul?

3) Are there discussions yet on truly fleshing out the Firestorm universe and races? I've bemoaned for years the lack of artwork and clear descriptions of the races.

4) Are there any discussions of merging WWX and Dystopian Wars?  I feel like the DW background is vague enough, or certainly new enough, that few would (should?) mind a little retconning. Just the idea of the Black Wolf now being Rani Nimue, or alternately Capt Nimue getting her own squadron box for DW, gets me fired up. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to drop in here!

-Dale

Hi Dale,

that was Stuart, he is the head of our Studio. I am the MD and owner, we work in a sort of symbiotic way I tend to focus on business stuff, and Stu creative.

In answer to your questions.... I cannot reveal much...

1) Not sure at the moment

2) We have quite a lot of design resource and technology and it is increasing, we want to leverage it as much as possible improving what we have and creating new stuff. :)

3) Yes...

4) Wouldn't that be cool :)

To add to my answers....

We try and work as closely as possible with the community... Wild West Exodus should be an example...

Regarding other questions, until we have all the assets on site, its difficult to know exactly what we have... But should know in a week or so.

And I will answer as many questions as I can :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:47:05 am by Rich1231 »

Brimat

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 06:27:49 am »
Hi Rich, thanks for stopping by and giving some insights.  :)

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 12:38:54 pm »
Thank you for reaching out and I can honestly state this is the best news many of us that are fans of Spartan have heard since the implosion.

I'm very heartened to see these systems preserved and I'd like to caution fans to temper their excitement/impatience as these are large ranges, complex systems and invariably in an asset purchase out of bankruptcy, some things will be disrupted or even misplaced. I expect to see very little until sometime in 2018 and that is OK.

To those burnt on the Kickstarter or other pre-orders. I got 100% of my investment back by disputing the charges through my credit card company (via PayPal). If you have not contacted your CC and tossed it into dispute, do so now, as in today. There is a finite limit timewise but generally you can be made whole.

You can save that refunded money for the new guys! :)

Spartan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 12:56:13 pm »
Fantastic news.

Amiral X

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 03:40:04 pm »
I am skeptical about the plastic part
They mentioned it for their Wild West exodus a year ago and still nothing?
Meanwhile they are recruiting for a resin worker

I remain positive about their plan to resurrect spartan thought

Hi Fracas, Skeptical about plastics?

We have produced some new plastics already for WWX, we also have loads with tool making companies at various stages of production. It is not quick getting a tool made. We are taking steps to speed up the process but it takes time.

PS I am Wayland's MD.

Hi Rich !

It's great to have here  a guy from Wayland !

I have so many question, but I try not to flood you right now ! I just wish to know if there is (or will be) some kind of official forum for DW rebuild, and if you will use the community for beta test and collaborative developpment of the games ?

edited : oups, I was so excited to see a wayland member here that I posted my question before seeing someone already asked the same thing  ::)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:43:51 pm by Amiral X »

Rich1231

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 04:17:27 pm »
I am skeptical about the plastic part
They mentioned it for their Wild West exodus a year ago and still nothing?
Meanwhile they are recruiting for a resin worker

I remain positive about their plan to resurrect spartan thought

Hi Fracas, Skeptical about plastics?

We have produced some new plastics already for WWX, we also have loads with tool making companies at various stages of production. It is not quick getting a tool made. We are taking steps to speed up the process but it takes time.

PS I am Wayland's MD.

Hi Rich !

It's great to have here  a guy from Wayland !

I have so many question, but I try not to flood you right now ! I just wish to know if there is (or will be) some kind of official forum for DW rebuild, and if you will use the community for beta test and collaborative developpment of the games ?

edited : oups, I was so excited to see a wayland member here that I posted my question before seeing someone already asked the same thing  ::)

Don't worry forums will be back soon in some way.

We didn't have everything we would have liked about the announcement, but we have customer data handed over and we checked with the Information Commissioners office in the UK about our duty with the data and how quickly were should notify those whose data we held. They said as soon as you can reasonably do it... so the email was sent out pretty much as soon as that call ended. So a few things are still being updated in the background.

Belisariusca

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 07:58:37 pm »
I just started into Dystopian wars  with getting the Naval groups. I had the Britannia one to get and was planning on getting it shortly from
Spartan. The announcement means I do not have to pay a huge cost for it now. Can hardly wait for it to come back up for sale.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:46:05 pm by Belisariusca »

Lord Nobody

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 07:39:59 pm »
Rich1231
Thank you for buying Spartan Games.
Thank you for keeping us informed.
Thank you for giving us hope!

Please keep us informed. In the mean time my wallet is getting fuller and fuller.   ;)

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 03:17:36 pm »
I am very optimistic  :) based on EDR#7. Very good interview and the folks at War Cradle/Wayland seem to have a very level headed approach.