Author Topic: Captain Sonar  (Read 830 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Captain Sonar
« on: April 12, 2016, 08:25:29 pm »
Submarine board game! Ran across this on TTGN:

https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2016/4/6/captain-sonar/

You’ve piloted your submarine deep under the polar ice, using your stealth drives and moving carefully to minimize any possibility of giving away your position. These freezing seas are littered with old mines that could explode at the slightest brush, rupturing the tiny metal canister that protects you and your crew from the cold, crushing arctic waters. Your radio operator hails you—“Captain, I think I know their location!”—but his voice is suddenly drowned by wailing sirens. An enemy torpedo is closing in.

Deep beneath the ocean waves, an unseen war is waged by rival corporations. In the year 2048, rare earth has become essential for modern energy, leading massive corporations to dispatch submarines to guard their undersea mines—or to attack the operations of rival corporations! Take your place in the conn and prepare for battle with Captain Sonar, a tense new game of dueling submarines for two to eight players.

In every game of Captain Sonar, you and your fellow players are split into two teams. Each team represents the officers aboard a submarine, and each player has a vital role to play. You may be the Captain, responsible for setting your submarine’s course and ultimately deciding when to strike. The First Mate needs to charge the ship’s systems, from the torpedoes to the stealth drive, while the Engineer needs to keep the submarine and its systems fully operational. Finally, the Radio Operator needs to determine the location of the enemy submarine, giving you the chance to open fire and win the game!

Battle Stations!

Your undersea voyage was uneventful, until you received the news from your employers. A rival submarine has entered waters claimed by your corporation. Your objective: to find and destroy this submarine by any means possible. For you to successfully destroy your opponents, however, your team will need to communicate and act as one.

Sounds neat! I like the team play aspect of it.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Sonar
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 02:45:28 pm »
Interesting. I've seen one or two sci-fi boardgames that have the same mechanic where every player is a crewman, but not a submarine game. Will be interesting to see how this stacks against "They Come Unseen".
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama