Author Topic: DWVA AUTUMN EVENT 2012  (Read 9054 times)

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
DWVA AUTUMN EVENT 2012
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:35:21 pm »
WHAT:  A special team-based event. Players must register as a 2-player team or individually registered players will be matched with other individually registered players. The rounds will be linked in a mini-campaign with victory declared for the leading team at the end of the event.
WHEN:   Sunday, October 28th, starting at 10:30 am.
WHERE:  The Game Vault, Fredericksburg, VA
FORCES:  750 point force compositions; at least 1 force per team is Naval Core and 1 force per team is Armored Core.  Players may bring multiple force compositions as long as the 2 basic requirements are met.
COST:  $5 per registered player.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION
This event incorporates elements of tournament and campaign events previously organized at the Game Vault for Dystopian Wars.  Some snacks will be provided (probably sandwiches like we had available at the Glorious 3rd of June event).  The Game Vault has restrooms available, drinks and snacks for sale, and food & drink is allowed in the store.  We will have a 30-minute lunch break between the first & second rounds which will also feature a secret ballot vote for best painted fleet.  Prizes will be awarded for a variety of achievements.

FORMAT
Each team will be composed of two players.  Teams will be organized into an Alliance.  Players will participate in 3 rounds of games, scoring Campaign Points for each game played, and each player in each round will deploy a 750-point force.  Round 1 will feature
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:01:13 am by MadDrB »

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 188
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: DWVA AUTUMN EVENT 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:07:32 pm »
Oh man, wish I could make it! I will not be back in the area until a few weeks after this, unfortunately. Still, I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes!

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 06:59:46 pm »
Registered Teams
Team A: Andy: Prussia  Brian: France
Team B: Shades: Prussia  Oko: FSA
Team C: Kevin: KoB  Jeff:  FSA
Team D: Kyle: CoA  Jack: Empire of the Blazing Sun

Registered Players

Trencher Jarhead: FSA
Don Mondo:  Blazing Sun
Doug: Blazing Sun

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:56:22 pm by MadDrB »

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 10:40:08 pm »
I might be able to make this one, but I'm not sure yet.

So just to update you all on my timeline:  we are out of the house as of today, living with my parents (who live just up the road from our house).  Renters move into the house on Sunday (never thought I'd be a landlord).  Wife and I fly to Africa for vacation for two weeks next Saturday.  After we get back, all energy will be directed to leaving for Colorado.  Departing Virginia on the 20th, and moving into our new apartment in Denver on 24 September.  I still haven't found a job out there yet, so if I don't have one lined up before we leave, I'll be coming back to this area to continue to work and job hunt.  My deadline is Thanksgiving--going out to Colorado permanently by then, job or no job.

So if I DO make this tournament....it means that I STILL dont have a job in Denver, am geographically separated from my wife, and will be living with my parents.

But hey...at least I'll have DW.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 10:51:14 pm »
So if I DO make this tournament....it means that I STILL dont have a job in Denver, am geographically separated from my wife, and will be living with my parents.

But hey...at least I'll have DW.

Hey, if you manage to make the tournament then I'll play as your teammate; I think this will be the first tournament I may actually participate in, if I get it set up right.

Safe travels in the meantime, and best of luck with the job hunt.

PhineusPhule

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:47:03 pm »
At the risk of complicating things I think it might be thematically better if you only allowed teams of Allied or Neutral nations. Spartan just released an alliance PDF:

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/a-world-at-war

Given the reality that there may be an uneven number of players for a given faction how about some sort of thematic bonus during the tournament for "proper" allied teams.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 188
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 05:47:00 pm »
I actually think that is a pretty good idea  8). Another option would be to have a separate prize category for "best thematic team" that would combine the team's gaming performance along with the strength of their thematic pairing. Teams could get more points on theme by having some sort of back story for their pairing and the like (Adepticon does it this way for the 40k team tournament, and it seems to work quite well!).

Cave Johnson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 07:02:25 pm »
Sadly I don't really know anybody that I could team up with......... will still make it if anyone would be willing to pair up with me

RandomBrit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 02:04:12 pm »
there is a slim chance that i may be able to make it. I'm supposed to graduate from my A school on september 27th but it is not set in stone. Really hoping i can make it, need to get my DW fix lol

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 03:18:16 pm »
The point of the "team" registration is to get players to register before the day of the event.  And there is a list of players already registered with the group; I encourage anyone looking for a team-mate to try messaging some of those players.  Also, players can register as single players and risk being matched to other single players as I see fit as the Event Manager.  Registering as teams provides players to choose their own allies, so to speak.

Thanks for the link, PhineusPhule.  There will be a bonus for teams organized along "official" alliances, although I'm not going to make it mandatory.

As far as player registrations are concerned, I'm working hard on some specific table terrain (tables will be individually set up before the event begins and remain so throughout as players will rotate between tables), and I want to have the number of tables match the number of players I can expect, so getting players registered ahead of time is important for me here.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:05:33 pm by MadDrB »

PhineusPhule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 05:19:50 pm »
Haven't officially signed up yet so thought I'd do it now. Spoke with John, my fellow local player, and we will both be present representing the Russian/ Britannian alliance. John will be playing his Russians and will un retire my Britannia fleet.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 03:54:46 pm »
A Magic event has been scheduled for the entire weekend at the end of the month at the GV, and if we have the number of players like we did in June we won't have enough space reserved for us on the 30th, so I'm working to select a new date.  Any suggestions?

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 06:45:20 pm »
New date for the DWVA Autumn Event is Sunday, October 28th, at the Game Vault in Fredericksburg, VA.

PhineusPhule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 06:00:23 pm »
Sadly the new date doesn't work for me. There's a slim chance I can make it but won't know until closer to the date. For now I need to withdraw my participation. John still plans on attending if there are any other KoB players looking to reinforce the Russian/Britainnian Alliance.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 05:03:11 pm »
I see the Blazing Sun is neutral toward the Russian Coalition, so I think there may be someone around here willing to partner with John if he can't find a more stalwart ally.