Author Topic: 4/28: New Blog Post  (Read 3000 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:54:39 pm by Ruckdog »

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Re: 4/28: New Blog Post
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:40:29 pm »
Short but sweet.  I would like to read more analysis of how the DW universe compares to our own history.  Your suggestion that the dreadnought class of ship of the DW universe doesn't necessarily make the battleship classes obsolete (except, perhaps, in the case of the FSA) just begins to scratch the surface of this discussion.

Something I've wondered about is the use of Concussion Charges in the DW universe while there is an absence of torpedo nets.  I've been wondering about a rule to allow the deployment of torpedo nets by capital class ships which are at full stop or start the game at anchor, etc.

Anyway, I like what I read, and I think there is room for this sort of discussion to grow.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 02:52:06 am »
Don't worry, part 2 will not be the last one ;). I don't anticipate making the later installments much longer than this one, though. Partly, it is a time crunch for me, but also I want to avoid the tl:dr syndrome.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:08:20 pm »
Its intersting to note that turret technology is about 35-40 years more advanced as well, even the HMS Dreadnaught didnt feature stepped turrets, instead mounting wing turrets.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:49:38 pm »
True, though the USS South Carolina (a contemporary to the Dreadnought) did have super-firing turrets. The Royal Navy was slower to adopt this design feature.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 05:22:51 pm »
I would love to see something like the original USS Texas added to the DW range:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:26:41 pm by MadDrB »

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:37:04 pm »
Ya the offset wing turrets were an intersting design, allowing for the main armament to be fired all around, but it was pretty unbalanced (this was worse in the Maine which was more narrow than the Texas) and the potential for damage to the firing ship saw this design live a short life although 1870s would be about right. A fleet based around this style would do well to focus on closing and ramming imo what with being able to focus their main armament forward. 

The South Carolina was early 1900's also iirc out about the same time as the Dreadnaught but considered somewhat risky and under a lot of scrutiny due to the concerns over the layout. Point being that both were well after the 1870's ish time period of DW, DW seems to be right about WW1 in terms of most of the tech/ fleet styles.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.