Author Topic: Tacticon 2014  (Read 4077 times)

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
Tacticon 2014
« on: June 04, 2014, 06:21:08 pm »
So, what are everyone's thoughts on going after a Tacticon event?  I could probably re-run the War of the Worlds event, but I'm thinking some kind of open play of DW would go over better.  We could put together some good terrain tables and just use it as a chance for folks to get to know each other and play against a wide range of fleets.

Thoughts?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Tacticon 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 06:29:19 pm »
So, what are everyone's thoughts on going after a Tacticon event?  I could probably re-run the War of the Worlds event, but I'm thinking some kind of open play of DW would go over better.  We could put together some good terrain tables and just use it as a chance for folks to get to know each other and play against a wide range of fleets.

Thoughts?

I was planning on going to Tacticon anyway, so I'd be up for some open gaming.  Did something similar with MadDrB (who lurks somewhere on these forums) at Historicon a few years ago.  I've heard Tacticon doesn't draw as large a crowd as GenghisCon (and Genghis wasn't all that big), so you might want to see if there are any slot open in the late morning/early afternoon for better visibility.

I've not done the War of the Worlds scenario...how well does it represent the core game? I'd be up for whatever, and can help with set-up, tear-down, scenario-building, etc.  Maybe I can even get some of my ships finished up before then.  :D
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:41:38 am »
I can support either one, but maybe some open play sessions would be good.  If we can get enough people to participate, we can get a lot of different factions on the table, hopefully driving more interest.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 03:24:29 pm »
That's a good idea as well.  Between the four of us that showed up at Crit Castle a couple weeks ago, we probably have seven different fleets (I know I have three on my own, and should have one more [Japanese] by the time Tacticon gets here).  That's a decent cross-section of the available fleets. 

We could run small engagements/scenarios to showcase a) what each fleet does well, and b) the different things you can do with the game.  When I ran DW demonstrations at one of the Gamer's Haven events last November, I had one "heavy hitter" engagement (FSA dread and cruisers against PE dread and cruisers) and one all-air battle (FSA vs PE), just to showcase different aspects of the game.

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 12:11:40 pm »
Not a bad idea, several smaller events with two or so factions.  Not sure if you guys are able to do full days on Sat/Sunday but might be cool to do that on a Sat and a larger engagement on Sunday with Imperial Bond forces facing off against the other folks (coalition?  I can't recall the name at this point), or an everyone vs Invaders?  I've never stayed at a Con and gamed all day/night (at least in the last 20 years), but I'm up for lots of stuff blowing up fueled by lots of Jolt soda!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:14:18 pm »
I would like to play some other games at the con as well.  So I may not be able to devote a full day to Dystopian Wars.  I'll have to wait to see what the schedule is.  I'm pretty sure there's going to be some crazy elephants and rockets game (set in 1800s India) offered that I'd like to get in on (if the organizer is there).

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 06:09:08 pm »
No go Lubber.  This is like 4*k, once your in, you can't get out.  And if you do manage to get out, you'll be marked with a scarlet letter so everyone is aware of your traitorous ways!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 09:30:24 am »
No go Lubber.  This is like 4*k, once your in, you can't get out.  And if you do manage to get out, you'll be marked with a scarlet letter so everyone is aware of your traitorous ways!

Ha!  I've heard that about 40k before...

So Stephan, what's the deadline for getting tables reserved/getting games into the program?  Is there a fee? I'm available on Saturday and Sunday of the con.  I also have never stayed at a con and played until the wee hours, but this sounds like a good opportunity to do so!  Again, I'm up for whatever we want to do--large engagements, series of small-scale actions, whatever.  I can also set up/tear down/take pics/talk to people about the game.  My 2.0 rulebook should be waiting for me when we get back, so I'll have time to get the rules down before the con.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 01:10:57 am »
Tacticon registration is now open.  There's already a DW game on the schedule, Friday night from 8-12.  But, that doesn't mean we can't grab a table or two for open gaming!  There were a lot of empty tables at various times at GenghisCon, and I understand Tacticon is a smaller convention, so maybe that wouldn't be an issue.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:01:34 pm »
So I just registered for the con.  My Saturday is booked solid (lots of cool historical games!), but I have nothing scheduled on Friday afternoon or Sunday morning.  I'm planning on being at the con around 2 p.m. on Friday, and I have a game that night starting at 7.  My game Sunday doesn't start until 2.  There are always open tables at the con, so I'd be up for meeting anyone there to get in a game.  DW, Firestorm (although I don't have a fleet), X-Wing, whatever.  Anyone else going to the con anyway?

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 09:59:35 am »
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to this thread.  Mike Garland, mj_garland@comcast.net, is the miniatures coordinator for Tacticon and GenghisCon.  Stop by and introduce yourself while at the con.  He can tell you the deadlines for getting events into the packet and will add you to his distro list of miniatures game masters.

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 10:00:30 am »
Anyone going to be at Tacticon this afternoon?  I was thinking of taking a half-day today to go check it out.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 02:04:28 pm »
I'll go looking for Mike, but I was thinking more along the lines of an informal game.  If it's like GenghisCon, there will be a lot of open gaming tables.

My schedule has changed a bit--won't be at the con until probably around 5 today.  But I'm still free for a game Sunday morning if anyone wants to come by! 

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 12:28:44 am »
How was the con?  I had planned on going but ended up visiting the parental units.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 06:09:42 pm »
I was on the losing side of all the games I played.  :-X But that's not unexpected.

It was OK.  Definitely a lot of room for more games.  I was talking with one of the Gamer's Haven employees on Saturday afternoon, he was saying it was a pretty poorly-attended con.  Probably several reasons for that--last long weekend of the summer, good weather, same weekend as the state fair, etc.  There were definitely fewer people and fewer games (at least of the miniature and board game variety--I didn't venture into the RPG spaces, not brave enough) than what I saw at GenghisCon.  Which also, to me, makes sense--Genghis is on a long weekend in the winter.

I don't really understand why they run it on Labor Day weekend.  They don't run events on the actual holiday itself. The con officially starts on Thursday afternoon, I think, with games that afternoon and all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  The dealer's hall is all packed up by 5 on Sunday.  They could just as easily run it a couple weekends before Labor Day and possibly have better turn out, since it wouldn't be on the long weekend.  But maybe there's some other reason I'm not aware of that they run it that weekend.