DanAussie's USS Montana
8 (50%)
Brigman's IJN Shinano:
2 (12.5%)
wargamingrecon's Pflict-class Zeppelin
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: April 22, 2013, 10:30:10 pm

Author Topic: Official Voting Thread Round 1 Heat 2  (Read 2626 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Official Voting Thread Round 1 Heat 2
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:28:14 pm »
Here are the entrants for Heat 2!

First up is SWO_Daddy with the USS Saratoga (late war):

Next, its DanAussie with the USS Montana:

After that, we have Brigman with the IJN Shinano:

The 4th and final entrant for Heat 2 is wargamingrecon with a Prussian Pflict-class Zeppelin:

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
Re: Official Voting Thread Round 1 Heat 2
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:36:10 pm »
Hey, is that the right picture for Saratoga, or were we going to vote using the composite image you made?
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 11:58:58 pm »
Well, I never heard back from SWO on weather or not he wanted to use the composite. I also didn't want to create a sense of favoritism by having a composite made by me (the nominal impartial party to these proceedings) officially entered into the contest ;). So, given that, I just went with the one pictre from the set that SWO_Daddy had self-selected for his entry.

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:19:37 am »
Gotcha!  Good answer, Ruckdog ;)

All the entries look great!  It's a difficult call when voting, but I guess I am going to have to try to make it!
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Danaussie

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:33:13 pm »
All fantastic entries andallby very accomplished artists. Imust say that it by far one of the hardest things to do on forums such as this, is to choose just one winner out of so many choice, "showroom" level works is almost impossible, this way of "peaople's choice" is a fantastic way of doing things and one I hadnt thought of.

I know I have alot to say guys, but you never know when will be your only chance to say something possitive or encouraging or inspirational to up and coming painters or accomplished painters so I just go ahead and say it.

One photograph is really not enough to properly inspect a 3 dimensional object guys, so perhaps next time allow for 3 photgraphs, just please understand that there is  a left side a right side a front, back and top view of any 3d object and that is what we are dealing with. Please just a suggestion, and in no way a criticism. :) This is also a pertinent point in the case of (for example) if I was to paint a Royal Navy Admiralty Design (camouflage measure) the pattern is often different on both port and starboard sides. The artist would want to be judged on his ability to properly depict the historic pattern on both sides of the ship, as well as his general skills.

Finaly I wanted to say, well done to all the artists, the Sci-Fi ships are just fantastic and I can see so much work has gone into them, being an old sea-dog however, someone able to pull off an historic scheme such has Brigmans work is (gosh)just so difficult at this scale, his use of colour is perfect, and just wanted to tell him that even thougn I naturally want the Montana to win, that his was my personal favorite. Well done brother.

Cheers guys :) :) :)

Dan

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 05:28:30 pm »
Dan, I completely agree with the difficulty of doing a complex scheme justice with just one angle, especially an asymmetric dazzle pattern! My original intent was to allow the use of composites (or collages if you will) to get around that issue. Granted, that imposes the problem of having to use smaller shots to make up the whole, but logistically I would prefer to keep the entries to one image file per participant.