Author Topic: The Last Jedi  (Read 3596 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Jedi
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 10:45:05 pm »
Been meaning to post here after seeing it a second time.

[spoiler]

So, I've softened my stance a bit. I went a couple weeks in between viewings, and maybe my subconscious worked on how I felt about the movie and smoothed some things over (you were right, Dakkar). I still like it less than The Force Awakens, but I don't dislike it as much as I did.

-I think the dialogue between Dameron and Hux, immediately followed by that terrible space-bomber scene, got the movie off on the wrong foot for me. That attempt at humor was terrible, and that bomber scene was horrible.

-I still think most of the attempts at humor were heavy-handed. They were, however, easy to ignore the second time around. It reminded me of a Marvel movie, which is usually OK because the humor usually fits in Marvel movies. But Disney now owns both franchises, so I'm a little worried about bleed over.

-Regarding physics--yes, Star Wars breaks physics. It always has. The Death Star trench run wouldn't have been nearly as cool if real physics had been involved. It's just a fact of life--Lucas planned the dogfights in Episode IV from watching WW2 gun camera footage. And if you can suspend your disbelief, there's nothing wrong with that. Which means--and I came to this conclusion in a discussion with a friend of mine (I think it was Zorper)--that my issue with the "Holdo manuever" is that it is WAY too close to "real physics", and thus incongruous with the space maneuvering and combat we've seen in previous Star Wars movies/shows/games/etc. Yes, that is pretty much what would happen (given my limited understanding of general physics--I'm not trying to nitpick here) if you were able to get that much mass to accelerate that quickly through another object. The true "Star Wars" version of that, I think, would have involved Holdo crashing her ship nose-first into the larger ship and one or both of them exploding spectacularly or breaking apart and crashing into...something.

-Other than some of the attempted humor, I had no issue with how Luke acted. I do like that they sent him off into the sunset (literally) with him sacrificing himself for his friends and family. And that was a beautiful scene at the end, with him disappearing off the rock.

-I'm still not happy about the lack of explanation of Snoke, but I'm over it. And I'm hoping that's not the last we see of Phasma. If Boba Fett could survive falling into the Sarlacc Pit, I think we'll see Phasma again.

So, there it is. I was a little harsh in my first "review", and I've had some time to reconsider some things. Not a truly great movie, but not a terrible one either. And let's face it, none of the Star Wars movies have been truly "great" (except maybe Empire, and possible Rogue One), but they have mostly all been entertaining.

Ultimately, though, I do wish they hadn't waited so long to make sequels. If I had my druthers, they would have made Episodes 7-9 based on the "Heir to the Empire" trilogy by Timothy Zahn, which was as good if not better a story than the original three movies.

[/spoiler]
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 10:49:30 pm »
And Dakkar, that was a great article.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 03:47:13 pm »
If I had my druthers, they would have made Episodes 7-9 based on the "Heir to the Empire" trilogy by Timothy Zahn, which was as good if not better a story than the original three movies.

That story is still very possible to tell (with recasting of course). Thrawn is very much in current canon, and beyond awesome on REBELS. Moreso than I even recall liking him in the Zahn trilogy...

I also recommend seeking out the recent D6 Generation Lost Chapter Podcast, discussing the TLJ.
[spoiler]They point out that while TFA was a reskin of Ep IV, T:J is EMPIRE *backwards* with a blend of RotJ too. Perhaps its  symbolically backwards because its deconstructing the original stuff - that'd be my theory. [/spoiler]
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 01:30:13 pm »
I enjoyed it for what it is (a movie), and I don't normally pick movies apart for kinda hokey stuff (the bombers?).  But I didn't at all like how Ackbar got killed off with no acknowledgement (it's AKBAR, dammit!) and the Leia/Force-Popsicle flying through space?  Hated that.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 02:17:33 pm »
Leia/Force-Popsicle flying through space?  Hated that.

What, Leia can't have Force powers in a moment of dire need?
And technically, she didn't fly, she reeled herself in from zero-G into the ship's gravity by pulling against the ship.
If Force-Users could easily fly, then the Emperor wouldn't have died the way he did.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 05:05:51 pm »
I enjoyed it for what it is (a movie), and I don't normally pick movies apart for kinda hokey stuff (the bombers?).  But I didn't at all like how Ackbar got killed off with no acknowledgement (it's AKBAR, dammit!) and the Leia/Force-Popsicle flying through space?  Hated that.

Regarding Admiral Ackbar, I too wish that he had some kind of better send off (I'm rather partial to the fishy fleet commander), but when you really get down to it he was (at best) a minor character, at least as far as the movies go. He had what, maybe 5 minutes total screen time between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens? Most of what we know about his character has come from books and the like, and I suspect that a majority of the people going to see The Last Jedi either wouldn't remember who he was without a trip to Wookipedia, or else would remember but wouldn't care.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 07:19:41 pm »
Did anyone notice that Ackbar/Leia's/Holdo's ship was called the RADDUS, as in the Admiral from ROGUE ONE ?

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 07:51:05 pm »
Did anyone notice that Ackbar/Leia's/Holdo's ship was called the RADDUS, as in the Admiral from ROGUE ONE ?

I didn't pick up on that until I read some reviews and discussion after watching the movie  ;D

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2018, 12:54:53 am »

Regarding Admiral Ackbar, I too wish that he had some kind of better send off (I'm rather partial to the fishy fleet commander), but when you really get down to it he was (at best) a minor character, at least as far as the movies go. He had what, maybe 5 minutes total screen time between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens? Most of what we know about his character has come from books and the like, and I suspect that a majority of the people going to see The Last Jedi either wouldn't remember who he was without a trip to Wookipedia, or else would remember but wouldn't care.

Minor character, yes.  But quite popular I think, especially for those of us who saw Return of the Jedi in the theaters.  You gotta love Mon Calamari cruiser designs. And I've often though he was in command of one of my Aquan fleets!  I can't resist sharing a few pics of one of my favorite Admirals ever...

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 12:56:01 am »

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 06:15:21 pm »
Never too many Ackbar memes ...

We need a fanservice edit where he pulls himself out of space using the Force, instead of Leia :-)

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 02:31:09 am »
Never too many Ackbar memes ...

We need a fanservice edit where he pulls himself out of space using the Force, instead of Leia :-)

AGREED!!!

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 11:28:00 am »
What I hated most about the movie was it basically shoved in my face that NOTHING MATTERS! 

The battle between good(?) and evil(?) never ends and it can not be won.  Sure, that is true; but can't I have a victor for Good and a Good Guy last in a fictional universe? 

The whole movie just seemed hyper-20teens to me.   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing