Author Topic: What Makes Good Space Navy Game?  (Read 1460 times)

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
What Makes Good Space Navy Game?
« on: September 13, 2017, 05:32:26 pm »
The title says it all!  I was reading throught he Jovian Wars Beta Rules and it got me thinking.   

In your opinion, what does a good space navy game need? 
How do you differentiate it from a WWII/Age of Sail/Galley navy game.... IN SPACE! 
What makes them unique and interesting to play? 
What ar eth emust have lements and what is simply chrome? 

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: What Makes Good Space Navy Game?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 12:18:57 am »
Good question!

One of the first things that comes to mind for me is weapons. The weapons need to feel science fiction-y. I think Firestorm Armada did this to some extent, but Spartan didn't run as far as they could have. Kinetic weapons and beam weapons and missiles (or torpedoes) are great, but what about electronic warfare? Weapon jamming, computer viruses, etc? I guess there were a few nods to this in FSA, but nothing that really stands out in my mind.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:25:28 am »
1. Good background
2. Intuitive mechanics
3. Based in scientific realism

Chrome would be some heroics like special orders in bfg or exploding dice
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Jack Brown

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 10:53:10 pm »
1) Research/tech development.
2) Ship design.
3) Economic/strategic/campaign rules.

In other words, Imperial Starfire. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/2893/imperial-starfire

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 08:12:36 pm »
+1 for good background. I can overlook scientific realism, as long as things don't get too crazy.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Charbe86

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 05:02:47 am »
At least a nod to the physics involved in space terain, eg. the way you could sling shot around planetoids in FSA, or the way movement is affected as you drop down the well in dropzone.
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards.
Tacitus

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 06:43:23 pm »
For me, the following make a good space naval combat game -

1. Good background story, or at least one that is relatable and open to fine details. Full Thrust wins in this case, as while there is broad mapping of major powers, minor forces fit into the joints and allow players to fill in with their own ideas.

2. Variety of weapons. Not every species will reach the same conclusions about what technology is best, so there are going to be differences in technology. SFB and Full Thrust have this and it works well, because nobody has Uberweapons but forces aren't simply same-old same-old. To some extent, Colonial Battlefleet also does that as well.

3. Ease of play. I don't want to simulate exacting mathematical calculations of movement, though I'd like some of the basic physics to be included, as FT does rather nicely in both Cinematic and Vector movement versions; Starfire doing the same as Cinematic and justifying it with its technology. Damage Control and determining results of fire is also how I decide on a game system, and FT is again a big winner, though CBF and even Firestorm Armada come close there.