Author Topic: Spartan Games Day at Gamer's Haven, CO Springs--23 April  (Read 9410 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Spartan Games Day at Gamer's Haven, CO Springs--23 April
« on: March 23, 2016, 01:07:46 am »
I'm moving the conversation about this over to this forum, since this is now no longer going to be a Halo Day and will instead be a Spartan Games Day at Gamer's Haven.

I got a verbal confirmation from the folks at the store that we can have four tables for the day. Just to refresh everyone's memory, we'll probably do something like this:

10am-1pm: Dystopian Wars

1pm-4pm: Firestorm Armada

4pm-7pm: Halo Fleet Battles (in primetime!)

7pm-10pm: Firestorm Planetfall

With 4 tables, we can use one for the current game, the second to set up the following game (so we aren't trying to set up and clear games off the same table every three hours), and the other two for pick up games/model and fleet display/administrative stuff.

A few of you have already volunteered to come by and help out--that's much appreciated. I can supply models and terrain for Dystopian Wars and Halo, and as I said before I can bring two space mats, one ocean mat, and one grass mat (a generic GW mat). I'll need assistance with both Firestorm games.

Quickdraw and Rob and myself discussed using this games day to launch a 4-week Dystopian Wars escalation league; apparently there is a Dystopian Wars tournament kit also coming at the end of April, so that might be something we could use. I've never run an escalation league before, so I'm open to suggestions (Quickdraw I know you have some ideas on this).

Down the road, it would be cool if we could rotate a few escalation leagues...start with Dystopian Wars, run that for 4 weeks, take a week or two off, then run a Firestorm Armada (or even Planetfall?) escalation league, then do Halo, then maybe rotate back to DW with different flavor the second time through. Goals are to get more players out and to introduce folks to other opponents. Again, I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

Will continue to post updates on this thread as we get closer. If you have ideas, please post 'em here!

"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: Spartan Games Day at Gamer's Haven, CO Springs--23 April
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 11:03:43 am »
I'm still down for supporting this, bringing my space mat and models. I was planning to at least "run" the Firestorm and Planetfall stuff. And I'll try to have painted DW and HALO fleets for it by then.
I've applied for these to have full Demo status from Spartan, and see what goodies we can get.  - No response yet though.

I recommend the 4-Faction Patrol Force set-up for each table like you had for DW at Genghis. Or in the case of HALO, 2 on 2.

Re: DW Escalation, count me in. Despite the doom and gloom elsewhere I've voiced concerns, I still WANT Spartan to succeed and grow. They just need to get smarter about it. :-)
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

zorper

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 10:07:20 pm »
I'm down for all of it.  I'll bring extra Directorate models and my Sorylians if somebody wants to try PF.  I'm hoping to play Firestorm Taskforce instead of just Firestorm (if my stuff shows up.)  If you need help running any of this let me know.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 12:09:13 pm »
I'm hoping to play Firestorm Taskforce instead of just Firestorm (if my stuff shows up.)  If you need help running any of this let me know.

I was going to set up just for Firestorm, but I'll try to get the Taskforce stuff ready too. If you have your own, please bring it!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 01:54:10 pm »
You guys rock, I appreciate the support. Zorper and Dale, we'll have plenty of room for Firestorm Taskforce. You can set that up while we run Firestorm Armada on the "main" table. In fact, it would be GREAT if you did, so we can show people the variety of games.

Dale, by all means if you'd like to take the reins for the Firestorm portions, go for it! Especially Planetfall--you know WAY more about that than I do.

For DW I'm thinking about setting up a 4x6' ocean space with two "engagements in progress" involving four fleets. I can supply my four fleets from Genghis Con, although it would be REALLY cool to see some others that are really nicely painted (*ahem* looking at you, Stephan, for your Prussians and you, Quickdraw, for your Ottomans and Free Aussies).

For Halo, I still think the "Firefight" scenario would be best, as it has the most potential for immediate combat. Quickdraw and I weren't able to play it last weekend due to Real Life events on my part, but I'm sure we'll be able to give it a try between now and 23 April.

I'm going to confirm with Ed today to make sure we can start advertising this on the store and Spartan forums, and I'm going to ask Kat at the store if she can make up a nice couple of signs (like she did for the Spartan Games stock area I the store) to advertise it there.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 03:54:48 pm »
I'm going to confirm with Ed today to make sure we can start advertising this on the store and Spartan forums, and I'm going to ask Kat at the store if she can make up a nice couple of signs (like she did for the Spartan Games stock area I the store) to advertise it there.

I'll start promotions too, and let me know what Kat says - I have a Promo Template I can generate. Except of curse I have to print it (usually at work) and drive into town to post it. :-)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 11:44:18 pm »
Just a couple weeks away from Spartan Games Day at the Haven.

Quickdraw may not be able to make it, so I'm going to need some help with models for the Halo: Fleet Battles big game. Specifically, I'm going to need Covenant battlegroups. I can cover the UNSC on my own, but in case he can't make it I'll need someone to help me provide Covenant battlegroups for the big Firefight scenario.

Thanks in advance to all who have agreed to help. Hopefully we'll have a decent turn out!

Ulric the Grey

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 11:47:57 pm »
I got a thousand points of Covy for you.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 01:22:48 am »
I got a thousand points of Covy for you.

Excellent, thank you! I have the Covenant forces from the starter box, plus the heavy upgrade (2x ORS and 4x SDV). My plan is for the Punic and the CAS to deploy as the flagships, while the other battlegroups come on the board around them per the Firefight scenario. We're going to need one table for the game, and one table for all the battlegroups (UNSC and Covenant) waiting to deploy. People who want to play should just be able to pick a battlegroup, roll for a deployment edge, and get into the fight.

DemonFerret

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 04:10:11 pm »
Anything i can do to help with firestorm other then bring terrain  and models?

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 05:44:07 pm »
Anything i can do to help with firestorm other then bring terrain  and models?

Terrain and models will do the trick!

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 10:13:06 am »
I've got the kids that weekend so I'm out, but I'd be happy to loan terrain if needed.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 11:54:44 am »
I've got the kids that weekend so I'm out, but I'd be happy to loan terrain if needed.

Yes please!
And could I also borrow your space mat for the Firestorm Tourney at Conclave of Gamers on Friday?

If so, bring it on down on Sunday, and I'll get them back to you when you're down next after the 23rd.

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 01:10:54 pm »
No problem.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 02:47:19 pm »
Thanks Stephan, much appreciated. I could also just grab the mat when I leave on the 23rd and bring it back to you that night or on Sunday. Whatever is easiest. Wish you could make it down for the event, but I understand.