Author Topic: DeepWars Kickstarter: Blood Reef  (Read 3720 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
DeepWars Kickstarter: Blood Reef
« on: March 23, 2016, 12:50:59 am »
Meant to post this over the weekend, but I got overcome by real life events:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/524168246/deepwars-blood-reef

The good folks over at Antimatter Games are running a Kickstarter campaign for a new expansion for the DeepWars game. The Nereids of Blood Reef are, I believe, a mercenary faction, and the models look great--especially the Beast of Blood Reef model. Other goodies coming along with this Kickstarter, including some new models for other factions, a new ruleset (v2.5) and some interesting bits of scenery that have been unlocked already thanks to pledge support (they hit their funding goal 3-4 days into their campaign, I think).

Check it out if you're interested in some really cool underwater wargaming!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: DeepWars Kickstarter: Blood Reef
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 09:10:22 pm »
Awesome! Thanks for the reminder  ;D

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:13:24 am »
Just a quick reminder--about a week left on this Kickstarter, if you're interested. So far they have more than doubled their original funding goal, so several pretty cool stretch goals have been unlocked--models for the Nereids force, plus some pretty neat terrain pieces.

Check it out if you're interested!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:00:25 am »
It won't be long before the rewards from this KS start shipping! Having seen some of the models for it in person at Gencon, I'm supper excited to get my hands on them.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 11:16:28 pm »
Agreed! Stephan and I have played a few games here recently--he's been using Eldar (I think) as proxies for the Nereids, as Antimatter released the stats for that faction and the Goblins several weeks ago. It's also been good to get into the new version of the rules. The combat has really been cleaned up and is simpler now, I think.

One huge improvement, in my opinion, is that the model and weapon special rules are listed and explained on the model's stat card. As I've said before there are a LOT of model, weapon, and equipment rules in DeepWars, and having them explained on the cards really helps.

Marc_Gacy

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 10:46:07 am »
If you're a backer of Blood Reef, they just released the 3x5 cards of all the factions, both ShadowSea and DeepWars yesterday.

I have a laminator, so I bought a bunch of 3x5 sleeves for laminating. It should look pretty good I hope.

Now, we just have to get together!

I'm an Ancients guy, through and through (although I do have the starter pack of Scaly Horde and could play them in a pinch)

I plan on running some of this at Genghis in February. Anybody else interested in running/playing there as well?

- Marc

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 03:19:16 pm »
Hi Marc! Welcome! I didn't realize you'd joined until now. (Or if I had I'd forgotten...stooped middle age...)

Stephan will be teaching me the game on the 26th. It may well fall closer in my wheelhouse than other new games.

I plan on running some of this at Genghis in February. Anybody else interested in running/playing there as well?

If I like it once I play, count me in. :-)
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Marc_Gacy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 04:58:52 pm »
Hi Dale,

Thanks! I just joined recently (for the express purpose of discussing Deep Wars!)
Deep Wars uses the same base system (Song of Blades and Heroes) that I was running at Tacticon, although it's been moving a little further away from it over the years.

I think you'll enjoy it (knowing some of your interests as  I do).

- Marc

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 01:11:37 pm »
Very cool to hear it uses the SoBaH engine, and having printed off the Reference sheets, I can see the indicators.

Looking over models on their page and the Blood Reef KS page, I'm thinking Nereids might be my preference, or the Scalies ... i.e. "Sea Monkeys" or "Aquatic Sleestak" . Fielding something like the giant Anglerfish seems a MUST.

Shame they don't have their updated rules online in PDF. I seem to recall something about very confusing versioning issues in the rulebooks they do sell. So I'll probably hold out for the latest Blood Reef book.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 12:06:15 pm »
So rules question from Saturday:

The Ancients "Mantaform" has three guns in 2 systems, one of which lists as "Gun x2"
Does having the x2 allow two shots? I know having just two systems doesn't allow it, but wondered if the other does. If not, what's the point of "bristling with firepower" if you can't use it?

Marc_Gacy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 03:41:50 pm »
That's because the card forgot one eensy-weensy, insignificant, minor little thing (joke!)... the description of Rapid Shot (listed in its special abilities):
Rapid Shot
A model with the Rapid Shot ability can make one or more additional ranged attacks if the first one hits and injures the enemy, similar to Combo Attack, requiring a
wound with the first attack.
Any ranged weapon the model has in its profile that does not require reloading can potentially fire with Rapid Shot. A model with Rapid Shot and Fast Load is a dangerous character.
If the first shot hits and causes a wound, the attacker can use another action point to attack again, gaining an advantage if the defender is fallen, transfixed or dazed, or fire at an entirely different target. Up to three shots may be made using Rapid Shot.

Makes the Mantaform a beast indeed!

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 04:02:00 pm »
Much more sensible then!

It's my hope that Deep Wars gets on the ball with some PDFs after they fulfill Blood Reef. Or at least get the webstore updated, sell to LGS's, etc.
The Ancients with their Bot-Forms are kinda neat, might be in the running for me, depending on the deals locally or online.

Though whenever I hear "At-A-Lan" I want to correct to A-TIL-an; because a friend used to mispronounce the home city of Marvel's Inhumans as "At-A-Lan" all the time, and I'd have to correct him. :-)

Marc_Gacy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 05:54:55 pm »
Though whenever I hear "At-A-Lan" I want to correct to A-TIL-an; because a friend used to mispronounce the home city of Marvel's Inhumans as "At-A-Lan" all the time, and I'd have to correct him. :-)

Makes sense as both of them are plays on Atlantis!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 12:21:09 am »
Much more sensible then!

It's my hope that Deep Wars gets on the ball with some PDFs after they fulfill Blood Reef. Or at least get the webstore updated, sell to LGS's, etc.

Not sure of Antimatter's relationship to game stores, but the only way I found out about the game was seeing the Ancients of Atalan starter box on the shelf at Gamer's Haven a few years ago. I've purchased all of my DeepWars stuff through the Haven since then (except the stuff I got in the Kickstarter).

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 10:16:28 am »
Much more sensible then!

Not sure of Antimatter's relationship to game stores, but the only way I found out about the game was seeing the Ancients of Atalan starter box on the shelf at Gamer's Haven a few years ago. I've purchased all of my DeepWars stuff through the Haven since then (except the stuff I got in the Kickstarter).

The only time I've seen Deep Wars on the shelf at a game store was at At Ease Games in Miramar, CA...and they were on the clearance shelf  ???

That being said, I got all of my KS goodies over the last week, and everything looks awesome!