Author Topic: Spanish Fury Sail!  (Read 2414 times)

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Spanish Fury Sail!
« on: April 14, 2012, 03:37:18 pm »
I've been reading a bit about Elizabethan England lately and I'm interested in setting up a game of British and Spanish galleons blasting each other to pieces.  I want a game which has some historical setting and incorporates some sailing maneuvers but is relatively simple and fast to play.  And now I think I've found exactly what I was looking for, and free, from the Perfect Captain!

http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/sfsail.html

The sailing templates and ship cards look great, the rules are abstract and simple enough, and (best of all) I think the new Imperial Human ship models I bought from Spartan Games is going to work perfectly on the table for this game.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Spanish Fury Sail!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 02:09:22 pm »
Looks like an interesting game. I'd be willing to try a demo  8).

frpat

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:25:29 pm »
Only just joined today, so here's my first post.

SF-Sail is a great, easy to learn & easy to play game. I ran their "First Day" scenario at a club open day a few years back & it was a great hit - 4 ships, so small enough to be manageable, and easy enough for 4 players. Played it through maybe 7 times in one day - and the Spanish even won once!
Hoping to pick up some of the forthcoming Zvesda 1:350 ships that are supposed to be coming out later this year - they'd have a real visual hit to 'em!

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 07:08:22 pm »
Zvesda is going to produce some plastic historical sailing ships?  That's awesome--the figures I've picked up are good quality for their price, and I've been collecting some of their samurai.  But I'm particularly interested in any 17th century ships they might produce!

Welcome aboard, frpat.  And thanks for the feedback about actually running this game.  I've been thinking about running it at Historicon this coming summer.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:09:56 pm by MadDrB »

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:26:28 pm »
1:350, eh? That is a pretty good sized model! I'll have to keep an eye out.

frpat

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 07:47:19 am »
Just spotted a bit on the ships on the warstore site - There's a pic of the game box(Its a part of Zvesda's "Art of Tactic" series) and a pair of ships. They look pretty good to me (and the 1:100 WWII tanks already in existence for the WWII game are pretty good, and mighty cheap.

Must dig out my SF-Sail again - its been too long.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 05:44:30 pm »
I hunted around the site for a while, grumbling a bit to myself, "They have separate categories for fantasy and sci-fi miniatures, but they don't have a naval miniatures category?"  But then, preparing to give the order to strike the colors, I decided to try a "product search" and typed in "ships" and hit the GO button.  There she blows!

http://www.thewarstore.com/product82544.html

It's indeed a complete game, but they'll likely market the ships in blister packs like they do with their other Art of Tactic games.