Author Topic: Denver Area Gamers Scheduling Thread  (Read 125066 times)

zorper

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Denver Area Gamers Scheduling Thread
« Reply #735 on: August 23, 2017, 02:25:28 pm »
For obscure games we were talking a out StarFire.

I vote Halo Fleet.  But I'm cool with Dystopian.  I do not have 2.5, is that a new book?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 23, 2017, 09:38:30 pm »
Starfire was one, I think we also discussed Battlefleet Gothic, B5 Wars, and some others. War Rocket?

I can always play some Halo Fleet Battles. I actually haven't played since the stats update last fall. Except for the drubbing at Dale's hand at Genghis Con.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 23, 2017, 09:48:42 pm »
I can still do HALO Fleets, though I have zero new models outside the core set. :-(

"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 24, 2017, 09:55:11 pm »
I have plenty for both fleets outside the core set, would be happy to loan you some ships. If it's just the three of us, we can play 2-on-1...we have plenty of ships between us.

Zorper, to answer your earlier question, Dystopian Wars is moving to version 2.5 of its rule set. All the core nations' stats have been upgraded to version 2.5, and are available for download from the Spartan site. This of us who backed the DW Kickstarter last year have electronic copies of the new rules, although I haven't read through them yet.

So...Halo Fleet Battles? That works for me! Any of you who don't have it and are interested in trying the game, I can always loan ships and help you learn. If QuickDraw shows up, we could two games going...

So if that's what we're playing, I recommend you download the new ship stats for both factions onto your favorite mobile device beforehand. They're free on the Spartan site.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 25, 2017, 10:48:11 am »
I think it just became an alternate game day - Spartan's gone. :-(
(Check their homepage)

Or I'll go do the Guildball cookout on Saturday the 16th...

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 25, 2017, 12:14:45 pm »
I was just thinking that Dale.

I'm still up for Halo: Fleet if anyone else is. But I understand if that's a non-starter for folks.

I don't think we should let the demise of Spartan change our attempts to get together monthly to play games though. Still lots of other stuff we could play...the aforementioned obscure games, X-Wing...hell, I haven't seen Dropfleet Commander on the table yet.

And I still plan to play Dystopian Wars and the two Halo games whenever I can.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 25, 2017, 01:05:09 pm »
I'd love a group for regular NON-HYPER COMPETITIVE X-Wing and even Trek Wing. Or maybe SW Armada eventually.

zorper

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 25, 2017, 01:30:06 pm »
I'm still up for Halo Fleet next month.  Fleet will probably be my favorite ship game of all time.

You guys are a great group of players, the best I've found in a long while.  I'd like to try to keep our monthly games, at least in the Fall and Winter months.

Here is the problem with X-Wing.  I love X-Wing.  It's an awesome and truly brilliant system...that has attracted a lot of very competitive players.  I guess I'm just a wimp, but I'm a friendly game only kind of guy, and the last couple of X-Wing games I played it would have been better if I had just conceded the game at the beginning.  Maybe I'm smart enough to become a good X-wing player, maybe not, but I know I don't want to dedicate the time for it.  I got so frustrated that I let my friend from out of state borrow all my ships for a year.

Maybe we should 'audition' new games?  We were all going to support Spartan with cash anyway, maybe we could direct that cash into starter sets of something new?  I have some suggestions but this post is long enough already.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 25, 2017, 02:20:08 pm »
I'd say we can definitely enjoy X-Wing, especially if we try some of the fan-based campaign systems out there. I loathe making max-min squadrons.

Or as you say, try out new things. SW Armada is first on my mind. I have zero interest in Drop Fleet Commander.

I'm also hearing more ...credible rumors of the BFG return.

Maybe play out our great "Haven't had a Chance to yets" with Spartan, then see what's around.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 25, 2017, 02:32:57 pm »
Non-competitive X-Wing is the only X-Wing I play. I also don't like max-min builds. So I'm good with that. And Dakkar brings up a good point with the fan-made campaigns. I'm all for it.

And I'm up for trying new things as well, although SW Armada never really interested me. We also don't have to stick to naval-themed games.

warhawk

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 25, 2017, 04:05:19 pm »
Sad day for Spartan today. Just had gotten a fairly large xelocians lot to start to paint up, among other things. For starting up other naval/space games I would be all for SW Armada or xwing as that would give me a reason to start collecting them. I have also started to look at Blood and Plunder as that looks like a very unique troop/ship type battle system.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 25, 2017, 06:54:02 pm »
If anyone is interested in X-Wing but hasn't bought into it, I've got a LOT of starfighters for the Rebels and Imperials and am happy to run demo/teaching games. It's a really easy game system to learn.

@Warhawk, I hear ya man. I just got a bunch of terrain for DW a few months ago (merchant ships, dockyards, islands, oil rigs).

warhawk

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 30, 2017, 12:44:28 pm »
How would folks feel about doing a larger sized battle of DW or FSA for this coming meet up?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 31, 2017, 12:05:00 am »
I could do DW or Halo Fleet. We've got two tables for the whole time they're open (11-5). Maybe Halo Fleet on one and DW or Firestorm on the other?

zorper

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 31, 2017, 11:55:09 pm »
I'll bring all my DW stuff and we can do whatever you guys want.