Author Topic: 2023 Great Wargaming Survey  (Read 635 times)

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
2023 Great Wargaming Survey
« on: August 01, 2023, 07:00:51 pm »
The Wargames, Soldiers, & Strategy survey for 2023 is starting up, and this time every completed entry receives a WWII stl model along with the regular prize drawings from earlier years.  The survey is open through the end of August…
https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/blogs/great-wargaming-survey-blog-wss-magazine/the-great-wargaming-survey-2023
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 Great Wargaming Survey
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 02:04:09 pm »
I did my part!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Toxic_Rat

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 13
  • Spartan_FA_Mike in a previous incarnation
    • View Profile
    • Firestorm Armada Fleet Manager
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 01:09:28 pm »
Also finished the survey.  The carrier pigeon miniature is pretty cool, I've never seen something like that.
Nos Habere Ad Aetheres

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 09:41:50 am »
Finished as well!

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 11:55:17 pm »
The most interesting data breakdown of the 2023 Great Wargaming Survey so far is definitely on the issue of unpainted miniatures…
https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/en-us/blogs/great-wargaming-survey-blog-wss-magazine/gws-2023-unpainted-figures

The respondents to the survey have traditionally skewed towards the massed ranks end of the hobby, decidedly not-naval, and I think that these questions really illustrate that.  Apart from overbuying and / or never completing projects which are both personality-based issues, the nature of naval gaming does not should not lend itself towards the hundreds or thousands of unpainted models represented here for two reasons…

First, the size of most naval forces represented in games is orders of magnitude smaller than the average land based competing game.  The average number of models per player in the average naval game is four to ten, twenty, possibly thirty at the outside (assuming the game is based on squadrons, or the player in question really likes Brute Rams) which can easily be the number of models within a single infantry unit of a land based game.  That difference in number of models is totally expected as there have always been more soldiers than ships, regardless of the scale of the game, and also has the benefit that naval gamers never have to concern themselves with any considerations of figure ratios.  The only abstracted models that I have seen in play are always elements that could be represented by tokens, such as fighter wings or torpedo spreads, and have only once ever heard a reference applying ratios to actual ships.  Their comment was obviously a joke, but historical enthusiasts having to break down units into 1:50 or 1:100 or greater to account for required base sizes is no laughing matter.

Second, I would say that ships as opposed to other tabletop miniatures are far easier to paint given their usual geometric compositions.  It simply takes less effort and less time to paint models with little if any complicated textures.  Painting tutorials abound in the difficult corners of the hobby, like horses, faces, or tartans which are required for most land based miniatures while ships can be managed with the simplest techniques.  A Highlands regiment is a daunting task, and could easily break a painter’s spirit and cause the closeting of that army, while a ship operating off Scotland needs nothing more than traditional gray with a few highlights.

Overall, I do not remember what my answer was at the time of the survey, but I do have hundreds of unpainted models currently with the vast majority of those not being naval so I need to close out the ones that are ships since I really have no excuse not to.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 09:52:53 pm »
So, I can honestly say that I easily have between 100 and 200 unpainted naval models in the ol' Pile of Shame  ???

A lot of that are the various fleet boxes that I snapped up when Spartan went under; at 10-15 ships a pop, it doesn't take too many of those boxes to rack up a good sized bare-resin fleet! So, that puts me in the thick portion of the bell curve for the survey, it looks like.

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 04:23:30 pm »
I got to choose 0!  In 2022 I finished off my backlog and have been slow to pick up a new project.

Right now, I have been working on 6mm Egyptians and Hittites for a Battle of Kadesh scenario.  I also have 10 Kill Team models to paint. 

For 2024, I am mulling a buy into a Naval game but have not decided if I want Victory at Sea, Dystopian Wars, or something completely different! However, that won't be until the last of my Hittites get painted up.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2023, 04:39:51 pm »
I got to choose 0!  In 2022 I finished off my backlog and have been slow to pick up a new project.

Right now, I have been working on 6mm Egyptians and Hittites for a Battle of Kadesh scenario.  I also have 10 Kill Team models to paint. 

For 2024, I am mulling a buy into a Naval game but have not decided if I want Victory at Sea, Dystopian Wars, or something completely different! However, that won't be until the last of my Hittites get painted up.

My hat is off to you, sir. It was bad enough when I had to go to the store to expand my pile of shame...now that I can just print thigns to add to it, the pile has only grown lol.

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2023, 12:49:02 pm »
My incompetence at 3D printing is paying off!