Author Topic: Aeronautica Imperialis- V1- Operation: Hemlock- Convoy Raid  (Read 434 times)

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile

This is a game using the Forgeworld Version of the Aeronautica Imperialis rules.

Warboss Skarbash looked across the crude map of Da' Deff Islands, and he did not like what he saw.  The Imperium was closing in on the last island he possessed.  More and more of his materials were being cut-off, more of his boyz were not coming back, and the Oomiez kept getting more loot to keep fighting. 

He had managed to break out of the bubble and regain some control of the Approaches.  This gave him and his Nobz some breathing room.  It was a long way from pushing the Oomiez out of the way though.  His submersible fleet had mostly been sunk, his wet navy was thwarted.  The only thing keeping the Oomiez from attacking him now was his Air Boyz. 

He had to put a stranglehold on Imperial logistics.  That was where the Oomiez were winning.  The only way he could strike at them was air power.  He had all ready started attacking the Oomie shipping with his fighters, now he needed to neutralize their air re-supply.

The Orks are trying to intercept and destroy incoming Imperial supplies by interdicting them in the air.  As a result, the air craft have been placed into a convoy system where Imperial interceptors could act as their protectors.

Forces:

Ammoriss Air PDF
4 Thunderhead Airships
3 Arvus Landers
2 Sentry
+ Skystrike Missiles
1 Sentry Eyes

Ork Air Waaaagh!
3 Ork Fightaz
1 Fighta- Bomma
1 Dakka Jet

Mission:
This is a Convoy Raid mission per the rules found in the Airspace Compilation. The Defender earns VP for every transport that manages to escape the board edge. 

Set-Up:
The game is played on a 6x4 board.  The Convoy is set-up in the center of the board.  The Arvus are in front, followed by the Thunderheads in a diamond pattern.  They are flanked by Sentry's and the Eyes is tailing.  They are at low-altitude around 2 to 3 and speed 3.  The Sentry's are flying top cover at Alt 5.   

The Orks can come in from any board edge.  They choose to clump up the fightas and Dakkajet one of the long edges, coming in fast, at mid-altitude 3 and 4.  The Fighta-Bomma is coming head on from the escaping short edge at slow speed and mid-altitude 2.   

You can read the full report and the results on the blog if you are so inclined:
http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2023/06/battle-report-aeronautica-imperialis.html
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Aeronautica Imperialis- V1- Operation: Hemlock- Convoy Raid
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 12:20:08 pm »
Great looking game! I appreciate how  you are keeping the classic AI torch burning ;)

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 09:06:58 pm »
Good report, how far through the campaign would you say you are now?

Also, what are your thoughts on the latest version of Aeronautica Imperialis?  Moving to a grid does lose some of the aesthetics of the original, but I think it would increase precision and speed up play.  The Independent Characters are apparently back from hiatus and on episode 218 they did a comparison over the years of Aeronautica, and I did not realize how much of the original mechanics carried over apart from the map / measurements.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 03:41:31 pm »
Not a fan of the new (and now dead) version as it makes maneuver and altitude into a pointless exercise.  It is much easier to get into position, and half the challenge of the game is trying to predict and engage/disengage with your opponent. 

The big changes were they reduced the number of altitude bands, and increased fire arcs and speed.

Edit: How far are we in the campaign?  Well, it if a pretty informal thing that is relatively open ended.  We have had land, sea, and air battles.  The campaign is more for narrative structure and deciding what to play next more than anything else.  After a few years, I would say we are about half-way to a resolution?  Just when it looks like the Imps will clinch, the Orks claw some wins back and ward off defeat!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 03:43:42 pm by Easy E »
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing