Author Topic: BFG Re-Launch Rumors, 2023 Edition  (Read 705 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
BFG Re-Launch Rumors, 2023 Edition
« on: January 16, 2023, 01:13:27 pm »
Due to a recent GW Instagram post consisting of the old BFG box art, the rumor mill is once again turning that a BFG redux is in the works. Big, If True.

This is something that has been hinted at for a long time. I was sure that we would be seeing a new version of BFG back in the 2016 era, given the series of BFG video games that had released around the same time.

Here is the (rather click-baity) article from Spikey Bits about the Insta post:

https://spikeybits.com/2023/01/games-workshop-returns-to-battlefleet-gothic-miniatures-rumors-game.html

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: BFG Re-Launch Rumors, 2023 Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 11:22:11 pm »
I uploaded a short(ish) video to YouTube where I discuss my thoughts on this tease from GW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW71eVxsvMI

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 11:31:03 pm »
Good video, personally I think there is just as good of a chance of Inquisitor (rescaled) or Mordheim coming back as Battlefleet Gothic, to say nothing of Ye Olde WorldeTM which has had just as much buzz recently.  But really the biggest impact of Battlefleet Gothic is what was touched on in point three, its Neptunian absence is perturbing the orbits of other games in the space ecosystem… are the rumors of a BFG return every 6-8 months causing Firestorm Armada to be slow-walked / no-walked by Warcradle?  (pause to put away red strings)  And less directly related, are newer properties thinking twice with the shadow of BFG possibly ahead of them, why has Homeworld’s launch been inexplicably pushed back twice?  (second pause to put away smaller red strings)

I have no strong opinion either way on a possible return, but Battlefleet Gothic has been hanging over all other space miniatures of fleet size as a Sword of Damocles for quite some time.  (Well, one opinion though, Damocles Crusade would be the absolute worst setting for a BFG box)
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 09:29:57 pm »
It is only a matter of time until it returns. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 08:59:25 pm »
Add another 3 years to the counter... with "Epic" being "re"released I do not see Battlefleet Gothic coming back anytime soon, especially since the reboot of WFB has still not made it out of development yet for some reason.

And now with the endemic GW scale drift officially moving Legions Imperialis up to 8mm, the real question is would BFG actually come back or would it be a BFI* instead?

Now there is no historic crossover GW game that could force a change in BFG as opposed to the new Adeptus Titanicus and Aeronautica Imperialis which both pulled traditional Epic to a different scale for compatibility's sake**, so any change would be arbitrary.  The ship scale should not matter given the original post to post measurements, but would GW keep the same decades old flying bases, or introduce a new basing system or even consoles like in AT?  All the bases are changing in the new Epic, so I think any new BFG version we see would not be compatible at all with anything prior as far as bases, and probably not in playstyle either as larger bases would preclude any large masses of smaller ships... goodbye 25 Brute Rams...

My predictions for 3-7 years from now:
Different ship bases, but not multi-bases
Less ships on the field, but much larger models
Radically different ordnance markers, if any

*I = G x 125% in the Nottingham alphabet
**Totally not for any other reason at all
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Easy E

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 05:14:04 pm »
Epic came back and Aeronautica Imperialis got killed in exchange. 

I can not see BFG coming back soon.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 10:31:06 am »
So, speculation is swirling again, over this image:

The general consensus is that the image is referencing either a BFG reboot or a Space Hulk reboot. I guess we will find out tonight!