Author Topic: Kings of War : Armada Core Rules  (Read 1054 times)

Kelly

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
Kings of War : Armada Core Rules
« on: July 27, 2021, 11:06:56 pm »
Mantic does have free learn to play rules available, but they are designed to only be a supplement to an initial teaching game, so I thought I would post a breakdown on the contents of the core rulebook for Armada to serve a comparison to the first expansion…

Kings of War Armada – 96 pages – 5060469666419

Introduction, Credits, Components – 7 pages

Background – 39 pages
Flavor text and narratives make up 17 pages to build up the setting of Pannithor, and another 22 pages of composite art, line art, and photos can also serve as inspiration.  Those full pages are apart from the smaller pieces of art that are spread throughout the rest of the book.

Rules – 22 pages
The core rules include multiple diagrams and are much more detailed than the 5 free to download starter pages, also included are the advanced rules for wind and terrain.

Fleet Building – 3 pages
The guidelines for building a fleet are included along with the optional upgrade tables to fill out remaining points.

Scenarios – 11 pages
Ten scenarios are included along with setup diagrams.  There are also alternative map setups designed for these scenarios available as a free download.

Fleet Previews – 12 pages
At the time of printing only the two starter fleets were available, but previews of all four of the first fleets are included along with renders of the ships that were not released at that point.

Reference Sheets – 2 pages

I will put up a breakdown on the contents of Seas Aflame as soon as my copy arrives.  (50)
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Kelly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Kings of War : Armada Core Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 09:25:08 pm »
Just received my copy of Seas Aflame today, and I have a breakdown of this expansion below…

Seas Aflame – 72 pages – 9781911516354

Introduction, Credits – 4 pages

Background – 21 pages
There are 10 pages devoted to flavor text and narratives, and another 11 pages of full art.

Map – 2 pages
There is a large map with all the major bodies of water of Pannithor, major ports, and nations marked to use as inspiration for setting up campaigns.

Rules – 9 pages
The rules are split between the introduction of fliers as a new unit type, and the use of fortifications.

Campaign – 12 pages
Linking games through a campaign is the largest section by page count, and at first appearance, these rules are the most substantial part of this expansion.

Scenarios – 11 pages
Another ten scenarios are included, with four specifically incorporating fortifications.

Fleet Previews – 13 pages
Only one of the upcoming fleets includes renders of the ships, but the other three fleets have concept art included along with the planned roles of their ships.

Overall, I am looking forward to working through all of the details of Seas Aflame as it has just as much depth (!) as any of the other expansions for Mantic’s first and foundational game Kings of War.  While Kings of War provides the setting for Armada, with what they have put together here, I can see Armada being used in the future as an avenue to build out that wider world as well.

Kelly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 09:58:04 pm »
The Magic Deck expansion for Armada is not a full book and I wanted to see how the as yet unreleased factions would be treated going forward regarding this optional set of rules before my first read through.  My Elf starter fleet arrived today so here is the breakdown of the Magic Deck for Armada…

Magic Deck – 8 pages – 59 cards – 5060469667157 MGARM110

Base magic cards (across 3 tiers) – 49
Multiple copies of 23 unique cards that are used in any of the faction decks.

Faction / Fleet cards – 10
A unique tier 3 spell for each faction along with the breakdown of base magic spells allowed for that fleet.

Rulebook – 8 pages
The rules cover where the optional magic phase enters into the standard turn, how to cast and attempt dispelling, along with how to manage cards and casters.

Upgrades – 5
Five ship upgrades allowable for every fleet that includes a caster / magic deck.

On first inspection, a lot of care and future-proofing appears to have gone into the magic phase, especially considering that it will not occur unless a player has built their faction’s magic deck and caster into their fleet, much like fliers and fortifications from SA.  Each of the factions so far has a 20 card deck defined by the rules, and the individual cards are strong but not overpowered, since generally only one card will be used per turn.  The casting values range between 33% and 83% success rates depending on the level of the card and caster, and dispelling successes range between 17% and 50%, again depending on the level of dispel used.

Dispelling can only be performed by a fleet that also includes a caster and magic deck, which I first thought would always favor players who use this expansion, but the cost of your caster easily equals a small or even a medium ship for the fleet.  Also, cards can be used for certain rerolls which makes burning through your own deck a real possibility which is also addressed in the rules.

Regarding new factions, from the Elf starter fleet another pair of faction / fleet cards are included that can be used with the Magic expansion to create an Elf deck.  Two out of five groups of cards from the expansion that were not fully used for any of the 5 base factions are used for Elves.  The Elf base fleet cards do take magic into account in their wording, but do not rely on the phase being used, which looks like their future-proofing is working well.

The only downside out of the entire expansion that I can see is that given the nature of deck construction it isn’t possible to build two separate faction decks for demo games without proxying cards in opaque sleeves.  Otherwise, I am glad I picked this up since the decision of whether to include a caster in a fleet is a good, difficult choice.

Kelly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 09:41:24 pm »
Armada’s second expansion, Seas of Dread, arrived today, and I have a breakdown below…

Seas of Dread – 80 pages – 9781911516507

Introduction, Credits – 4 pages

Background – 16 pages
There are 8 pages devoted to flavor text and narratives, and another 8 pages of full art.

Rules – 25 pages
Generic ships, ghost ships, multi-player modes, new terrain, pirates, and sea monsters are all included.

Scenarios – 29 pages
Ten new scenarios are included, with another five thematic scenarios, and two more scenarios designed to accommodate three to six players.

Fleet Previews – 6 pages
One upcoming fleet includes full painted samples, and the other has concept art and planned roles of their ships.

A lot of breadth has been added to Armada, as this expansion adds new ways to play any existing fleet, as either ghosts or pirates, without having to purchase anything additional, but the new generic ship options also have benefits to any existing fleet with more ships and a little conversion work.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 12:21:30 pm »
That sounds really interesting. Overall, I like the balance Mantic has struck here with it's content in the expansion. There are a couple of other games I can think of that I'd like to see get similar expansions!