Author Topic: Halo: Fleet Battles at KoboldCon 2019  (Read 1901 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Halo: Fleet Battles at KoboldCon 2019
« on: April 28, 2019, 04:48:09 pm »
Along with forum member Quickdraw's help, I ran a large game of Halo: Fleet Battles at KoboldCon 2019 in Colorado Springs yesterday.

I opted for a variation on the "Firefight" scenario that Spartan released in one of the updates for the game. In my scenario, a Punic-class supercarrier and a CAS assault carrier (Quickdraw's model) are parked on either side of a Forerunner station complex, and have called for reinforcements. I built four battlegroups for each side and assigned them specific orders and deployment instructions.

I wasn't sure how the game would play out, but my goal was for all the players (half of whom had never played the game) to roll lots of dice and blow up lots of ships. And, that's about what we got!

The UNSC players were able to deliver two Spartans to the CAS...after a couple of "stalemate" boarding results, the Spartans were able to cause a critical core breach in the forward section of the massive vessel, and then moved on to the mid-section, where they caused a second critical core breach a few turns later--although one of them was killed in the process. I had this image in my mind of the two Spartans going through the CAS like Captain America on the Lemurian Star in "Winter Soldier".

Meanwhile, the remaining Covenant ships (two CPVs, a supported CCS, and a few SDV corvettes) worked the Punic over from stem to stern, eventually wrecking the forward and rear sections of the supercarrier.

We all had a good time and it was good to see the two massive ships on the table. They acted mostly as objectives and scenery, as they didn't move, but they were able to get a few shots off at the opposing forces.

Thanks to Quickdraw for the use of his CAS and for helping me run the game, and to Dakkar and others for participating.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:09:04 am by Landlubber »
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Covertwalrus

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 90
    • View Profile
Re: Halo: Fleet Battles at KoboldCon 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 09:28:40 pm »

Looks AMAZING!!

And having fun, rolling dice and blowing things up is exactly the point of a game - Though tactics and such are fun too :) Great pictures, Landlubber!

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 02:05:59 pm »
And I woulda had that Punic if it wasn't for those meddling Pelicans! And your crazy accurate point defense (I was rolling 6 hits on 18 dice barrages, while Greg averaged 8 hits on 6 dice every time I tried to board!)
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 02:57:59 pm »
@Covertwalrus, thanks! I would have taken more pics but my phone's battery was just about to die.

@Dakkar, yeah, you really beat on that Punic. Those big ships are TOUGH; it was neat to see how much punishment both the Punic and the CAS took. As for the dice rolling, well, you've known me long enough to know that was a complete aberration.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama