Author Topic: Cast off!  (Read 1086 times)

Wanjajoral

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
Cast off!
« on: August 28, 2017, 03:33:52 am »
Hello everybody,
I have been lurking on these forums for quite a while now but with the closure of Spartan Games I decided to register and become a bit more active here.

I am 37, based in Marburg, Germany (think about the brothers Grimma and fairytale country and you are right there), working at the University (Geography) and have three kids (aged 7, 4 and almost 1). This life of mine keeps me awfully busy, which means that I hardly make it to gamedays, conventions or meet ups. Most of my active gaming happens with my wife and has nothing to do with naval or miniature games. I enjoy a wide range of board and card games and have a fairly active account on boardgamegeek. Oh, and I design games, but just for fun as my limited free time prevents me from pursuing this in more earnest.

I started with miniature wargames in the early 90s and Battletech was my first love. Warhammer 40k (2nd ed) followed a few years later, but I got out of miniature games when I went to college in favor of D&D and CCGs. I always liked naval themes and when Battlefleet Gothic came out (and I could not afford it) I just created my own ruleset (roughly based on Battletech), which was fun for a while.

Fast forward a decade or so and I am rediscovering miniature wargames. Space Hulk 3rd ed got me back into buying and painting models and after years of pondering I took the plunge and got Firestorm Aramda (2.0). In terms of naval games I also have a nice collection of Sails of Glory ships and some bits for Star Trek Attack Wing, but Firestorm Armada is where my heart is at.
My main fleet are Sorylians which I, as often as time allows, pit against my son's Aquans (as he is just 7 we play the simpler Taskforce ruleset), but I also have some painted Veydreth, RSN and (almost finished) Dindrenzi. Other fleets (Relthoza, Oroshan, Xelocian, Directorate) are patiently waiting for their time on the painting table and will keep me busy for months (years?) to come.

As my time is limited I am more a hobbiest than a gamer right now and if Spartan had released more fiction for their games I would have certainly devoured it, too, as I am more a fluff gamer than a min-maxer.

I am happy to be here and hope that many more Spartan Games fans will join this forum and keep their games alive.

Happy gaming,
Michael

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
Re: Cast off!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:07:57 am »
Greetings and welcome
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Cast off!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 07:09:52 am »
Welcome aboard! I'm hearing you on being more of a hobbies than a gamer at the moment; I find myself in a similar situation ;)