Author Topic: Hello from Northern Ireland  (Read 1115 times)

Klingsor

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
Hello from Northern Ireland
« on: February 22, 2017, 08:21:29 am »
I am British and live in Northern Ireland.

I am not actively a naval wargamer at the moment as our group is more into D & D and skirmish wargames. Previously I have played Full Thrust, still one of the best starship games out there, and Star Fleet Battles which isn’t. The last naval game I played was the Mongoose Publishing version of SFB which was interesting but not really for me and the first probably Mayday, the original version, which I picked up second hand in the late 1980s.

I am slowly assembling a Russian fleet for Dystopian Wars. Hoping that this does not join all the other half baked and aborted projects the litter my workshop, the oldest probably being some 1:3000 ships for Harpoon though there are still black globe (bogie) markers for Star Cruiser somewhere, both games played precisely once each though I played the original Harpoon computer game a lot. Other projects that are not dead but only sleeping include the Russo Japanese War, now in two different scales, The ACW brown water war, WW II coastal and still Full Thrust. I think the Mediterranean theatre in WW II would be a great setting for a game.

I backed the Kickstarter for Drop Zone Commander and have done nothing with it, the box arrived at a busy time and was stowed away for later attention. Pretty much what happened with the two Halo games as well and Battlefleet Gothic as well though it at least did get some miniatures painted for it. Are you spotting a pattern yet?

I am a keen reader of pretty much anything though science fiction and history are particular favourites.

We are starting to get worked up to visiting Salute again, the big British wargaming show in London each April. This is largely a shopping trip for us, my brother is dragged along partly as a pack mule though the company is nice and very convenient and he does love his miniatures, which is just as well as he does all the painting for me.

I blundered onto the Man Battlestations podcast which I enjoy and that is what brought me here.

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
Re: Hello from Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 09:18:53 pm »
I am glad that you are here
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 03:32:55 pm »
Welcome!  I think you'll find some fun discussions on various topics here, about all sorts of games and miniatures.  A good bunch of people too, so enjoy!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:59:32 pm »
Welcome Klingsor! I think you may be our first forum member from Northern Ireland!

Glad you like the podcast.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Klingsor

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:37:01 am »
I can blame the podcast for my buying Dystopian Wars miniatures - conveniently forgetting that the first purchase happened before I found the podcast.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 06:47:06 pm »
Welcome aboard!