Author Topic: Cold weather spray priming  (Read 1284 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Cold weather spray priming
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:59:39 pm »
I've got a few projects piling up waiting to be primed, but thanks to our recent weather here in Colorado I've been holding off doing any spray priming (I don't have the ability to spray paint inside, so it has to be done in the garage or the back yard). Then I found this article:

http://www.blmablog.com/2010/12/spray-priming-in-cold-weather.html

Temps in my area are supposed to be in the high 40s this weekend, so I think I'm going to try this out on an infantry stand (metal) and an infantry base (resin) for my second Dirt Fight starter set this weekend and see how it goes.

Anyone else have any experience with spray priming in our cold, dry winters here in Colorado? I know sometimes we get stretches of good weather, but sometimes those stretches occur in the middle of the week, and I'm at work.  :(
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: Cold weather spray priming
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:20:20 pm »
I just tend to take advantage of warmer days on a weekend. Main thing seems to be to ensure they can dry in the sun, or in a warmer chinook wind.

I can also cheat and prime in the barn if I'm really stuck :-)

I would also imagine you could use the garage with a fan/space heater in a real pinch
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:35:43 pm »
I think humidity matters more than temperature
I have not had any problems in the 20s when dry and had poor results in humid 80s
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Klingsor

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:57:45 am »
I usually do anything involving aerosol cans in the garage, ideally with the door open. The big point is that it is out of wind which just snatches your paint away.
I will usually warm the cans first, in hot but not overly hot water whatever time of year it is.