Author Topic: New Dystopian Wars Player in Washington, DC Area  (Read 1352 times)

Dagger Moth

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
New Dystopian Wars Player in Washington, DC Area
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:41:27 pm »
Hey everyone,
I recently got started with playing Dystopian Wars, and I'm hoping to find and meet up with other DW players in the area. Some folks have mentioned to me that I should check out Eagle and Empire in Alexandria. Are there any other places people around where people around here regularly play? I would like to try to arrange a game with someone who'd be willing to go through some of the beginner scenarios with me to help me learn the ropes. I just got the Shadow Hunter box, as well as a République of France box, because they seem like a faction that aligns with my play style.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: New Dystopian Wars Player in Washington, DC Area
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 06:29:47 pm »
Greetings! Glad you made your way to our little corner of the internet.

In addition to E&E, I host get-togethers down at my place (Woodbridge), and every so often we meet up at the Game Vault down in Fredericksburg. Whereabouts are you located? D.C. Area covers a lot of mileage 😉

Dagger Moth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 12:56:21 pm »
I live in Silver Spring, close to the metro station.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 06:38:40 pm »
Aye, welcome aboard Dagger Moth. I'm a fellow FSA and RoF player, both are great factions. Happy to talk tactics with you for those factions if you'd like.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dagger Moth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 04:57:30 pm »
Thanks Landlubber,
I guess my question is where do I start with RoF? I have the Naval Battle Group three Voltaires (because I liked the models). Do you have any recommendations for what else I can get in order to get a feel for how the faction plays? Hopefully in a way that is forgiving for beginners, but it seems like the RoF is a bit of a "feast or famine" faction.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 06:03:55 pm »
Thanks Landlubber,
I guess my question is where do I start with RoF? I have the Naval Battle Group three Voltaires (because I liked the models). Do you have any recommendations for what else I can get in order to get a feel for how the faction plays? Hopefully in a way that is forgiving for beginners, but it seems like the RoF is a bit of a "feast or famine" faction.

I don't have the Naval Battle Group, so I can't speak to how those models perform--with the exception of the Couronne, which is a great ship.

Recommend you pick up a squadron of Toulon-class armored cruisers, they pack a serious punch. The Charlemagne-class dreadnought is also an awesome ship.

Two things to keep in mind for the French:

1. Don't forget to take advantage of your Retardant Armor and the Cloud Generators. Retardant Armor will save your skin in some cases, and that in conjunction with the Cloud Generator is a pretty powerful combination.

2. Many French ships have heat lances/heat lancettes. These weapons have several extra rules/effects based on their weapon type. I don't have the rules in front of me, but I recommend you look them up--they're in the Weapons and Munitions section.

Don't forget to post pictures of your ships!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Creon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 12:47:52 pm »
Hi, welcome aboard. I work in White Flint, its occasionally possible for me to get to Dream Wizards.  Heat lances are the ROF's friend.