Author Topic: Halo Details from Salute 2016  (Read 1789 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Halo Details from Salute 2016
« on: April 17, 2016, 01:08:35 pm »
Much of the attention for Spartan Games at Salute 2016  was the new Halo: Ground Command game (which looks truly AWESOME), but there were some details about Fleet Battles as well. I came across this article referenced in the Spartan forums. Not sure how accurate it is, but it provides some details for stuff down the road for the game. If even half of what is written in this article comes to fruition...I may have to defer payments to my 401k for a few months.  ???

http://thingswotido.blogspot.com.au/2016/04/salute-2016-halo-chat.html?m=0

If nothing else, make sure you scroll down to see the picture of the 1:1000 scale model of the Paris-class frigate that supposedly will be produced for the upcoming Halo fighter combat game. I will likely buy 3 of these for an Arrowhead Formation suspended from the ceiling of my hobby room...

The second half of the article covers Ground Command, and there are some interesting tidbits towards the end about Spartan's relationship with 343.

All in all, I'm VERY excited about the future of both games!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
Re: Halo Details from Salute 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:30:13 pm »
Neil will be too busy with his new WW2 game to worry about HALO...  ;)
https://www.facebook.com/spartangames/photos/pcb.1110578772345335/1110578302345382/?type=3

"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 05:45:08 pm »
Why you gotta rain on my parade, man??  :D

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 12:48:09 pm »
Great article! Thanks for the link. That 1/1000 Paris looks awesome. I'm definitely picking one up just for the modeling aspects of it. I am happy to see that there are some more factions coming for Fleet Battles; the game really needs that variety if it is going to get widespread traction IMO. The Halo ground command stuff looks interesting, but that will be a wait and see for me.

That 1946 game looked...interesting. One thing that I noted is that those tank transporters were sporting a 5" 38-cal gun turret, which was used on all major US surface combatant during WWII (destroyers, cruisers, battleships, and carriers):

This has me drooling over the possibility that Spartan might be working on some WWII naval models...

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 12:58:06 am »
I don't know, Ruckdog, that might be a stretch for them to start doing WWII naval models.

I will probably have to defer payments to my 401k for a few months over the Halo ground game. Seriously, I want like 10 of everything.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 02:46:28 pm »
I will probably have to defer payments to my 401k for a few months over the Halo ground game. Seriously, I want like 10 of everything.

I need to see more clear pics, maybe some mechanics of the game, etc. Some stuff looks cool, but those scoop-head style Covenant troops just look too dorky to me. I know its all dictated by the game, but BLAH.
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 02:59:25 pm »

I need to see more clear pics, maybe some mechanics of the game, etc. Some stuff looks cool, but those scoop-head style Covenant troops just look too dorky to me. I know its all dictated by the game, but BLAH.

Eh, to each his own. The game certainly doesn't appeal to everyone, and that's understandable. I've been playing Halo in one way, shape, or form since late 2004, and I've read some of the novels as well. So I'm pretty excited about it. But it's not everyone's cup of tea.

That said, I'd be happy to run you through a demo once I get my  hands on the starter. I'm thinking it'll be sometime in August. Maybe if I can get it soon enough, and get the models painted, I can run some demo games at Tacticon.

BrdingPrty1

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 08:23:17 pm »
The covenant side of the starter set is made up of a majority of "Grunts" the "scoop-head style Covenant troops". I would like the have seen "Brutes" in the starter although having 2 "Hunters" included is nice to see. 1 Spartan is kind of a let down though. I am waiting to see the price of that Pelican. Anyone want to make a prediction? :)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 09:28:20 am »
The covenant side of the starter set is made up of a majority of "Grunts" the "scoop-head style Covenant troops". I would like the have seen "Brutes" in the starter although having 2 "Hunters" included is nice to see. 1 Spartan is kind of a let down though. I am waiting to see the price of that Pelican. Anyone want to make a prediction? :)

Yeah, but I'm almost certain we'll see the Brutes at some point. They were present on Reach during the Covenant invasion, and you had to deal with them quite a bit in Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST. Patience, my friend. :) But those Hunters look pretty sweet, don't they?

I think only having one Spartan is pretty balanced, actually. Spartans weren't everywhere, and they didn't tend to deploy in large formations (not that I'm aware of, anyway). I think it's easy to get sucked into a "Spartan-centric" viewpoint of the Human-Covenant War because that's how most of us experienced it--whether through playing Spartan 117 through the original three games and Halo 4 and 5, or through playing as a part of Noble Team in Reach. But the fact is, 117 was just one soldier (albeit a very, very good one) in a much, MUCH broader conflict. I like that Spartan Games has given us the whole galaxy, so to speak, not just one star in that galaxy.

Don't quote me on this, but...I *think* I read someplace that the Pelican will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $60. Now that I've seen the model, I'm guessing it's going to be more than that...maybe $80 or $90? I hope I'm wrong, because at that scale I'm going to want three of them to hang in flying formation from the ceiling in my hobby room.