Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Space Naval Games / Re: A Space Mat
« Last post by Kelly on March 25, 2024, 07:13:47 pm »
I have not browsed Cigar Box Battles mats for a while, but that one looks pretty good.

Cloth mats are something I considered before yet have never posted on as I have had a lot of trouble stitching my thoughts together, but the otherwise flat expanses of sea or space seam tailor-made for a fabric mat.  Even though I use vinyl mats to dress up my photography (I felt the details on fleeces are too fuzzy) there is nothing more fitting than seeing a table blanketed with quality art, sew my cloth mats have a special place in my closet.  Has this yarn gone on too long, or does it need any alterations?
Space Naval Games / A Space Mat
« Last post by Easy E on March 18, 2024, 04:38:26 pm »
I have been toying with Space Combat games for a while, but never had a great mat for it.  Thanks for Cigar Box Battles, I finally fixed that!  This mat is just over 6x4 and is made of fleece.  Therefore, it is really easy to fold up, store, and carry-around.  It also covers my table with a bit of extra around the edges.     

I took some pictures of my Space Mecha on my new Cigar Box Battles game mat.  More to come soon I think! 

and....

and.....

Hopefully I can get some space games in to fill the forum here!   
Space Naval Games / Re: Played in a SW Armada Tournament!
« Last post by Easy E on March 18, 2024, 04:30:04 pm »
Thanks for the Pictures. 

Hey all, long time no see! Too busy playing 2.5 and converting "new" craft.

A question - Does anyone recall the 6 engined bomber that was offered at IIRC Salute one year, the Valkyrie? And would anyone have the stats?

I found it!

This blog post from the old Element 270 blog had a link to where the stats were stored on the original Spartan Games website:

https://element270.wordpress.com/tag/dystopian-wars/page/9/

Naturally, that link is long dead, but the internet never forgets! I went over to the Internet Archive, punched in the url from the 270 blog, and...paydirt!

https://web.archive.org/web/20140720045618/http://www.spartangames.co.uk/wp/wp/wp-content/spartanimg/Polish_Bomber_Esmerelda_Stats1.pdf

General Discussion / Re: AI and Naval Wargames
« Last post by Easy E on March 04, 2024, 04:56:12 pm »
Might also be pulling a bit from your own cookie history! 
News and Rumors / Re: Dread Not!
« Last post by Easy E on March 04, 2024, 04:54:46 pm »
Nice title.
News and Rumors / Dread Not!
« Last post by Kelly on March 01, 2024, 03:51:27 pm »
Dread Not! just launched as a Kickstarter campaign for WWI naval battles in 1:2400 scale…
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dobbieshobbies/dread-not/

The Battle of Jutland starter set has the largest group of ships included at 26, with the other levels being split between the individual commands involved, and there are also multiple add-ons available for single or groups of ships that allows for a pretty high level of customizing your pledge.
General Discussion / AI and Naval Wargames
« Last post by Kelly on February 29, 2024, 08:14:32 pm »
While I have never used a language model AI to prepare any writing project, or given any input or prompts to one, I did have an output only tag come up from Bing’s Copilot GPT that may be of interest.  I do disable the predictive assistant each and every time the browser updates, so the below tag was personalized solely from my search history…
What are some popular naval miniatures wargames and their rules and strategies

For the first time ever I clicked on a tagged suggestion, and Copilot then gave me the following recommendations: Victory at Sea, Black Seas, Topside Minis.

Victory at Sea at number 1 makes a lot of sense as it is probably the best selling historical naval game currently, with their drawn source being total searches.

Black Seas at number 2 was again a historical naval game, and the two sentence summary did give an overview of the setting and some of the mechanics, but not the initiative system which was its most innovative one.

Topside Minis was the biggest surprise at number 3, which I thought was a mistake at first but then found their pdf download for WWII actions on the site so there are starter rules available.  All in all, that would be a success for Topside’s SEO that their search presence is large enough to make it into Copilot’s top three picks.

I have searched for each of the above, but not for several months, so their detection algorithms are good enough to recognize an interest in naval games, but not very specific yet as each of the above are all historical entries instead of science fiction or fantasy.  As far as browsers go, on game searches, the predictors have a long way to go to reach HAL 9000 status, much less Skynet level, but I would start to be concerned if the above recommendations were all Armada and Homeworld though…
Misc. Naval Games / Re: Homeworld Fleet Command
« Last post by Kelly on February 24, 2024, 03:50:15 pm »
Campaign Expansion – 5060523345939 – MUH052368

Here is a breakdown on the campaign expansion components:
Another 100 ships are included within 8 types, 6 large and 2 small, which does expand the silhouettes available to play over and above the multiple card versions included in the base game.

The campaign supplement is 32 pages and includes 8 more missions that are built around sequential play and customization through fleet upgrades purchased each mission.

For cardboard, another two sheets of tokens are included that allow the use of most if not all of the new ships for very large games, a second board, also for very large games, and card decks which support the new scenarios and upgrades.

In total, the campaign expansion has a fair amount of content, and is a good value that matches the standards of the base box.
Dystopian Wars / Re: MBS DW Fan 2.5 FAQ - Working Thread UPDATED 2/20/18: FAQ is Live!
« Last post by Kelly on February 22, 2024, 07:33:35 pm »
A question - Does anyone recall the 6 engined bomber that was offered at IIRC Salute one year, the Valkyrie? And would anyone have the stats?

Sorry, did not have anything copied on it from the before times; normally my go-to for missing cards is eBay listing images, but the only thing up right now for the Valkyrie's Fury is one item that is marked as 'Unidentified bomber' so no luck there...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/315148079935

...there was a partial image I found of the promo card, the best of what I could make out are below:
Fore Cannons (P)   10   10   5   5
Wing Guns (S)      6   5
Aft Guns (S)      6   5
Bomb Bay (T)      5

Large Aerial Capital Class Model
Minimum move 4”   Turn Limit 1”
Turn template 45 deg   Squadron size 1

Area Bombardment (Bombs)
Combat Patrol
Hunter (Surface, Bombs)
Squadron Support (PLC SAS fighters 4)
Strategic Value (25)