Author Topic: Battle Patrol - game variant (not my own writing)  (Read 1095 times)

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Battle Patrol - game variant (not my own writing)
« on: September 22, 2015, 02:21:53 pm »
Someone by the tag Samlish posted these homebrew rules on the Spartan games forum. It's designed to play a quick, decisive game of DW anywhere that you can.
Seems like a fun little variant for a fast game.

Battle Patrol
A battle patrol is a small patrol fleet sent out by the nations to guard the extremities of their empire. They tend to consist of heavily armed, fast ships which can respond quickly to threats. These games are to represent squabbles over minor territory, and not the epic struggles implied by larger games.

In Battle Patrol, each player brings a fleet of no more than 500 points, with the following modifications to force organisation.

Your fleet MUST contain a Battlecruiser class vessel, and this vessel is treated as a large for the purposes of force organisation. Your commodore is aboard this ship. This ship is part of the core force.
All medium and small squadrons have their minimum and maximum squadron size reduced by 1
No player may include any large or massive vessels in their fleet. (excluding, of course, their battlecruiser)
Local Air Support is reduced to half. Most nations therefore get 5 wings, some get 6.
When forming your TAC deck, you only get two cards, and draw one each time a full squadron is lost. (On either side, both players will draw.)
You do not roll to determine win condition at the start of the game, instead, both players win when either:

The opposing commodore's ship is prized (not sunk)
Half of the total number of ships on either side is lost.
Note that this means you do not have to track points, and strategic value is irrelevant. It also means there is a sudden death condition. Guard that battlecruiser for all you're worth!

These rules are intended to serve as a flexible and recyclable scenario which can play out very, very quickly.

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/15953-battle-patrol-rules-for-smaller-faster-scenarios/#entry282464

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Patrol - game variant (not my own writing)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 09:13:46 pm »
That sounds interesting, I'd like to try it sometime.

Only catch I can see is the battlecruiser rule. I guess you'd have to proxy a model if you don't have the battlecruiser model for your faction. But also, some factions (like the Aussies) don't have battlecruisers.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:33:42 pm »
I was thinking the same thing about the Battlecruisers, I don't see why you couldn't take a pair of gunships. Love the idea of Battlecruisers though, as I've discussed before ;D

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:32:11 pm »
I like the idea of games with no large or massive models...I do have my reservations about requiring battlecruisers. As I explored on the blog, there is a pretty significant power difference among the battlecruisers of the various factions. I think it might be better just to say that only medium and small models are allowed, and go with that.