Author Topic: Pre-WWI Ottoman Naval Training  (Read 2373 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Pre-WWI Ottoman Naval Training
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:27:23 pm »
Since this year marks the 100th anniversary of the beginning of The Great War, I'm trying to read more books on the conflict.  I'm currently reading The Russian Origins of the First World War by Sean McMeekin; interesting read so far.  The author discusses Ottoman Turkey's naval advancements prior to the war--contracts with other nations to build dreadnaughts, etc.  In discussing the modernization of the Turkish navy, the author inserted a footnote on the page that read: 

"Turkish naval officers would also now all learn to swim.  That this needed to be stipulated says a great deal about the historic limitations of the Ottoman navy."

This is the sort of thing that tickles my historical funny bone.  Thought I would share it with you all.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Pre-WWI Ottoman Naval Training
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:53:06 pm »
Neat find!  The Turkish side of WWI has never been very well explored in the West, it seems to me. Did you know they received a German battle cruiser at the start of the war, and held on to it until the 70's? The longest surviving member of the "High Seas Fleet" by a wide margin! They offered it back to West Germany for use as a museum, but Germany declined and so it was scrapped  :'(. A real shame, too. Very few warships from that time period have survived.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:49:27 pm »
That's very interesting--I had no idea.  Apparently the Ottomans had several ships contracted out to other nations before the conflict started. Even Chile (I think).

That would have really cool if the ship had been preserved.  Have you read Robert Massie's Dreadnought?  It's on my list, and I've heard it's very good.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 09:03:48 am »
I am reading Dreadnought right now!  It is good but is more focused on socio-political / royal issues than naval ones.  His other book, Castles of Steel is very navy focused though (it is next up on my list).
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:30:10 am »
I haven't yet read Dreadnought. I did make a couple of recommendations in your other thread, however ;).