Author Topic: Coming to the Area  (Read 2150 times)

CDR G

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
    • View Profile
Coming to the Area
« on: September 28, 2013, 05:43:37 pm »
I will be moving into the area sometime this Winter, likely in January 2014.
Don't have a specific location yet, but I intend it to be near Quantico--I hate commuting.
I am an Avid DW player, I have large naval/air FSA (4450) and RC fleets (3400). Four box sets worth of the Italians and one box of Australians.
I have some miscellaneous stuff like the Military buildings (Bunker), Air field and industrial site sets and some home made islands.
I will be getting the Merchant Navy box in October.
I do play some other miniatures, but have no figs except for DW and a Romano-British force for Dux Britaniarium.
I play board games like GMT  (Here I Stand, Wellington, C&C Napoleonic and Ancients), ASL and others.
Hope to find some opponents.
Regards
Mike Gallagher

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Coming to the Area
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:40:14 am »
Welcome Mike, glad to have you aboard!  I'm no longer in the Northern Virginia area, but several of the people on this forum are, so I'm sure you'll have some opponents.  Also glad to see another FSA player!

Make sure you check out the rest of the forum--feel free to post pictures of your models in "The Showcase", and we all like to read a good battle report as well, so if you'd like to provide some details of your tabletop exploits, we'd love to hear about them.

Again, welcome!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 07:15:25 pm »
We're doing a "Dystoberfest" in Richmond on the 20th.  I understand that's probably too far for you to drive, but we're also planning an event in Fredericksburg late in November.  There is a regular group of DW players meeting in Alexandria.

Vain

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:30:29 pm »
Hi Mike,

I am a big fan of GMT C & C games (Ancients and Napoleonic's ) as well as I have a British Fleet for DW (although I haven't played in a couple years).

I would love to play some C & C when you get settled in the area. (I have the original ASL Avalon Hill Box Game, but haven't broke it out in decades, but might be talked into playing that as well as any other wargame).

Check out The Game Vault in Fredericksburg (about 25 minutes from Quantico): www.thegamevault.net

Great store and a good gaming crowd. Oddly enough someone just posted on their forums about looking for ASL players.

Gary

CDR G

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 12:34:23 am »
Vain, I am "in town" now. I have been to the Game Vault-- just played a great game of DW there. I have not found anyone else who plays C&C. I would look forward to playing both. Currently in Stafford in temporary housing.
We will be moving into our house in April. It is located on the North side of Fredericksburg so the Game Vault will be my "local".
There are at least two other DW players around. Maybe we can get a group going.
r
Mike G

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 09:05:58 am »
I play C&C, and my favorite lately is the Battles of Westeros with those 8-sided dice.  I've also been playing Twilight Struggle again, and a lot of Eclipse, on the side of strategic board games.

I haven't been to Game Vault in months since a new FLGS opened in my town, but I would make the trip out to play C&C or even DW one of these weekends soon.

CDR G

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 11:25:22 am »
What is the FLGS in your town?
I would enjoy a nice C&C Ancients or Napoleonics, I haven't played the Austrians yet.
I could go out to your store, I need to make the rounds.
Mike G

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:24:57 am »
What is the FLGS in your town?

Comics & Gaming Culpeper
723 Dominion Square Shopping Ctr.
Culpeper, VA  22701

Right now they mostly carry board and card games, and Warhammer for miniatures, but their focus is as much on gaming as it is on comics (they run big games of Werewolf every few weeks along with a variety of store championships for Fantasy Flight Games).  Before I had to go to Richmond or at least Fredericksburg to meet an opponent, but now I can find players for a game I want to play one mile from where I live!  This is also the reason why I don't sit at home posting to my favorite wargaming forums, like ManBattlestations.com.

CDR-G

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 12:53:15 pm »
Would you be interested in a DW game there?
Also possibly a C&C nap or ancients? It would have to your sets as mine are in storage.
Mike G

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 02:27:31 pm »
Yeah, I'm at my FLGS almost every night of the week.

I loaned my copy of C&C Ancients to a friend in Charlottesville who wanted to practice for a tournament, but I have my Battles of Westeros which I think you'll enjoy--it uses d8 instead of d6 for the battle dice, and a few of the activation rules have been tweaked, but it's a bit more like a war game than a board game.

I downloaded some NAP cards some years back to use with BattleCry--but they were just working prototypes--but never bought the game when GMT finally published it.  I've never been a bit Napoleonic fan; I always thought the C&C system would work IDEALLY for 17th century combat like the ECW and 30 Years War.