Modeling > The Shipyard

Space Mecha!

(1/5) > >>

Easy E:
Greetings all,

I have been playing around with playing Space Mecha games.  The desire is to have a dogfight game, in space, with robot suits!  I want to capture the feel of shows like Gundam, Robotech, and others in the genre.  Typically, you see robotic suits being piloted by youngsters, with blazing guns, missile swarms, and the like. 

Initially, I was planning on buying some Dream Pod 9 Mecha from Jovian Chronicles and using those in my game.  However, while reviewing Amazon, I ran across a set of knock-off Gundam, plastic toys.  I got 144 or so for $15 USD.  That is like ten cents a mini. 

The contents of the set look like this....

You can see they are easy to cut up with a plastic cutter, trim with an exacto, or use a standard knife to cut them at the joints.  You can also see that the standard designs are very static.  However, they are about the size of a standard 28mm model. 

Next, I started chopping them up to get more dynamic poses.  I then used Green Stuff to fill in gaps to create more dynamic poses.  I dug through my bitz box and found some old GW Eldar Guardian las guns and melta guns which I chopped up and added to the models as built in weaponry.  At the end of the day, I had about 8 Mecha in various poses with a few variant weapon options.....

There is still a bit more work to do.  For example, I want a few missile boxes added using Green stuff and to mount them after painting to flying stands.  However, I think they look much more dynamic than the initial models.  Plus, at 10 cents a piece, that is a pretty good starting point. 

I have a second faction to make next, with about 8-10 mechs with a few different weapon load outs as well.   

Zac:

--- Quote from: Easy E on March 18, 2021, 12:20:16 pm ---Initially, I was planning on buying some Dream Pod 9 Mecha from Jovian Chronicles and using those in my game.  However, while reviewing Amazon, I ran across a set of knock-off Gundam, plastic toys.  I got 144 or so for $15 USD.

--- End quote ---

Link please :-)

Easy E:
https://www.amazon.com/Kicko-Plastic-Robots-Assortment-Christmas/dp/B07JW62CBW

This is the set I ordered. 

Zac:
Thanks

Easy E:
So, I have started to paint these guys using cheap, big box store acrylics.  Priming is a must to get decent coverage.

I will have some updated photos soon. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version