Author Topic: Jutland - Looking for a specific book...  (Read 3255 times)

Wanjajoral

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 12
    • View Profile
Jutland - Looking for a specific book...
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:20:13 am »
Hello everybody,
I am looking for a specific book - and I have no clue what its title is or who wrote/published it, but maybe you can still help me.
As a young teenager I enjoyed reading a book about naval warfare in WW1. The booked dealt with the pre-war arms race as well but the main focus was on the battle of Jutland - with a detailed report of how it went.
My edition of the book was a rather large hardcover and it contained a large number of full page illustrations - oil paintings depicting scenes of the battle.

I got rid of that book when I moved out of my parents house and have been unable to find it on amazon or ebay (it's hard to find something when one doesn't know the specifics of what he is looking for).

Maybe you know such a book, and even if you don't, are there any visually interesting books about the battle for Jutland out there you could recommend? I know that I could easily get a paperback packing a lot of content, but I greatly enjoyed those illustrations.

Thanks,
Michael

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Jutland - Looking for a specific book...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 06:00:01 am »
It almost sounds like you are describing "The Dreadnoughts" from the old Time-Life Seafarers series. Could this have been it?

https://www.amazon.com/dreadnoughts-Seafarers-David-Armine-Howarth/dp/0809427133

Even it isn't exactly the book you are looking for, it is well worth looking into. It has a lot of great illustrations in it, and it's quite affordable (a few dollars for a decent used copy). I must have rented and poured over my local library's copy a dozen times growing up!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:08:06 am by Ruckdog »

Wanjajoral

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 11:19:49 am »
Hi Ruckdog and thanks for the reply.
I ordered that book but it is definitely not the one I remember. Mine was blue and there was no black and white photo on the cover (and the German version of The Dreadnoughts looks just like the English one you linked to).
The one I had looked more like the Illustration on the Warrior to Dreadnought book by David K Brown (which I promtly ordered as well together with the follow up The Grand Fleet - though both look rather like textbooks on the inside (which is fine as well, just not so nicely illustrated)):

https://www.amazon.de/Warrior-Dreadnought-Warship-Development-1860-1905/dp/1848320868/ref=sr_1_3?s=books-intl-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1503932973&sr=1-3&keywords=dreadnought

https://www.amazon.de/Grand-Fleet-Warship-Development-1906-1922/dp/184832085X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books-intl-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1503933488&sr=1-2&keywords=grand+fleet

If anybody else still has an idea what book I might mean, let me hear it :)

Thanks,
Michael

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 03:00:12 pm »
Michael,

No problem! Sorry that wasn't the one you are looking for. The pic in the Amazn listing doesn't do the real thing justice; thecover is blue, and the cover illustration is in color (it's just that it's a painting of a grey ship on a cloudy day!). This is a better picture:

Wanjajoral

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 03:58:47 pm »
Thanks a lot,
as I have ordered a copy I will know soon enough if it might be the right one.

Wanjajoral

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 03:23:16 am »
Hi Ruckdog,
the book (The Dreadnoughts) arrived and you were right on point. Thank you very much.

I also got "From Warrior to Dreadnought" and can recommend it as a very extensive (and quite technical) description of the development of the British navy in the second half of the 19th century. It goes into lot's of details on ship building and engineering and is full of photos and smaller tables.

McKInstry

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 03:17:20 pm »
Are you familiar with the Massie books "Dreadnought" and "Castles of Steel"? It sounds as if those would be right up your alley.

hammurabi70

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 08:48:54 am »
Are you familiar with the Massie books "Dreadnought" and "Castles of Steel"? It sounds as if those would be right up your alley.

Thoroughly endorse this recommendation and RULES OF THE GAME

I wonder if it was a part of The Sword Bearers https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sword-Bearers-Studies-Supreme-Command/dp/B0012UFCDW
6mm wargames group: 6mm+subscribe@groups.io
http://www.olivercromwell.org/