Author Topic: Demolition  (Read 2381 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Demolition
« on: January 22, 2017, 08:50:15 pm »
Forum member Quickdraw*and I met today at Gamer's Haven and played the "Demolition" scenario (p. 57). We were both right at 2700 points total; he played Covenant, running one Hunting Host*and one Siege Host*battlegroup, and I played UNSC, running two Mechanized Infantry battlegroups (with heavy armor support in the second battlegroup). Quickdraw recently picked up a nicely-colored piece of terrain cloth, which provided a great backdrop for the game. Initial deployment (from the UNSC point of view; I was the defender, protecting the bunker in the foreground):

For VP purposes, the bunker in the foreground was the objective; the other two out near the middle of the battlefield were considered "outposts" and didn't grant any VP, only light cover for infantry and of course line-of-sight blocking.

Quickdraw also recently picked up and painted both the Jackal Infantry and Snipers; great-looking models! (And, as I discovered later, the Jackal Infantry are not easy to kill...)

As with every game of Ground Command that I've played thus far, this was a hard-fought game with a narrow margin of victory. The UNSC carried the day, 36 VP to 31 VP, but it was not a victory of which to be proud.

Generally speaking, I was able to eliminate most of the Covenant infantry before they got to the objective bunker. This was not easy, and I lost a LOT of units doing so, but my main goal was to defend the bunker and I think I did a (barely) adequate job of doing this. In retrospect, I should probably have tightened up at least one battlegroup around the bunker and forced him to come to me; I think UNSC infantry does better holding ground than advancing (especially considering the "move or shoot" rule for the HMG teams). There were a*few highlights and cinematic moments in the game, as shown below.

After taking two damage points from the Hunters, Quickdraw finished off my Scorpion with--of all things--side gunner fire from a Phantom while it was executing a combat drop mission! Thankfully the Scorpion had knocked out some of his Storm Ghosts, but I still wasn't happy with the tradeoff. We decided that the tank looked good flipped over with the turret laying next to it, so we left it where it died and it became part of the battlefield:

That same combat drop mission deposited two Scout Ghosts near my bunker, which Spartan Black had to deal with. He killed one pretty quickly, and the other didn't do too much damage--more of a distraction than anything else. (The D6s near the Ghosts were my VP trackers.)

I garrisoned the objective bunker pretty early in Turn 1 with an Infantry Unit that had both an officer element and an HMG element. This turned out to be the perfect combination inside the bunker, as the officer boosted the unit's reaction rolls and the HMG element gave it some good anti-infantry firepower. I did lose two rifleman elements, but I was still rolling 13 anti-infantry AD every time they fired.

More proof that Spartans are not invincible! I had just made a supply drop air mission and Spartan Black was about to exchange his assault rifle for a Spartan Laser, when he was hit by the Wraith. Spartan Black already had one wound, and he had to re-roll his successful save due to the Wraith's weapon loadout. He failed the second roll, and was removed from the battlefield (remember: Spartans never die, they're just missing in action). Good thing for the Covenant, too, as he probably would have put a world of hurt on that Wraith on the next activation.

Also...each Spartan failed at least one reaction roll. So, they're not as invincible as everyone thinks they are. Just sayin'.*

I lost my Gauss Warthog unit in a bizarre melee situation, where the vehicles were repulsed into the Spartan, thereby destroying them. I was not very pleased with this result, as both 'Hogs only had one damage point on them, and they had just obliterated an entire Storm Ghost unit.

Of his two Wraiths, I was only able to kill one (the anti-air variant); this was accomplished through a couple Wild Weasel air missions and an attack by one of the Spartans.

By the end of Turn 4, Quickdraw had lost most of his infantry and figured he was not going to be able to destroy the bunker based on what he had left on the board, so he called for a general retreat. I did not have ANY vehicles left, and not much infantry, but I did still have a (relatively) healthy Spartan that might have still done some pretty serious damage. A few lessons learned:

1. We need to start playing with more terrain that infantry can use for cover. This game had a lot of terrain that blocked line of sight, but not much that the infantry could use for cover. For my part, this may be due to my playing fleet-based games (Dystopian Wars, Halo Fleet Battles, Firestorm Armada) and not being used to using terrain for cover (I guess you can do that with gas clouds in Firestorm Armada, but it's not a tactic with which I'm very familiar). Both UNSC and Covenant infantry units are pretty squishy, so getting them into terrain like buildings, patches of woods, etc might make a big difference. Quickdraw observed that infantry units on both sides in this game spent a LOT of time out in the open, susceptible to all kinds of attacks from both ground and air units. Giving them more buildings and more trees to use might make them last a little longer.

2. I learned (painfully) that sometimes a Hold Move action is exactly what is needed. Again, since most of my wargaming experience is in fleet-based games, I think I'm mentally stuck in a "must move a minimum distance" mindset. I lost a Warthog today due to this tactical error.

3. Leave buffer room around units in case they are repulsed in melee. This is the situation where I lost my Gauss Warthog unit. The Warthogs were engaged in melee by a Grunt Levy unit, and to be honest I'm not happy with how this resolved. The unit did enough damage to put one damage marker on one Warthog, but then per the melee rules the vehicles were repulsed four inches back from the melee attack. This brought them into contact with one of my Spartans. As Quickdraw and I interpreted the melee rules on p. 83, the Warthogs had to move directly back from the direction of the melee attack, which violated the two-inch buffer rule around the Spartan, which meant the Warthogs were destroyed. This was frustrating, as I stated above, since the 'Hogs both only had one point of damage apiece. Now--I should have thought about this possibility ahead of time and given some room around the unit to prevent an outcome like this. However, thematically, I have an issue with the unit being destroyed when it violates that two-inch buffer when repulsed. What I think would work better is that the colliding units (in this case, the Warthogs and the Spartan) should gain an activation AND a cooldown marker, to show that there was a lot of confusion caused by the Warthogs having to quickly back away from a melee attack. If the repulse would cause vehicles to impact a building, maybe they should be subject to an "impact" attack from the building. I don't know. Maybe it's just sour grapes on my part because I lost the Warthogs on a rule that I think is a technicality. Certainly not a show-stopper, and I'll definitely leave a 6-inch buffer around my units in the future, but still. Frustrating. If we resolved this incorrectly, please let me know.

Other than that...it was a fun game! We are both starting to see the tactical depth to the combat mechanics, and for my part I seem to enjoy and appreciate the game more and more each time I play. At one point this afternoon, I activated one of the Spartans and said "I'm activating the Spartan, and I'm going to target your Jackal Snipers." Do you know how cool it is to be able to say something like that?!?!?

Thanks for reading!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Demolition
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:37:27 pm »
That was a really good game. I think you've nailed it with a lot of the comments you made.

I have my own thoughts on this game.
First and foremost I have to mention the armor. This was my first game with significant armor. The Covenant don't have the same anti-armor options that the UNSC have. They don't have the platforms, or the firepower to compete with the UNSC armor. It takes more creative solutions.
Second, the storm ghosts were a bit of a let down in this game. They have the best reaction statistic for the Covenant, which I thought would help compete with the UNSC's superior reaction ability. They are very squishy however, and don't hold up well to any dedicated anti-armor. I think they will require a lot of finesse to get right. They are a lot of points in comparison.
Third I have to comment on those warthogs going down to melee. I'm not impressed with that mechanic. I really hate the two inch exclusion zone rule in general. It doesn't make sense to me and it makes movement and positioning unnecessarily complicated. I do get the idea of the repulse mechanic, but it could definitely be handled a bit better.

Overall I have to say the game was a lot better at a larger size. The Spartans did not dominate even though they were a commanding presence. Having more tactical options in different units was also great. I'm interested to get more games and see how best to utilize these units, some of them are not obvious.

Dakkar

• Rear Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 25
  • Mobilis in Mobili
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 02:16:51 pm »
Any opinion how it compares to Planetfall? Or is it apples and oranges?
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark!"
-- Lord John Whorfin, Red Lectroid Leader

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 03:11:54 pm »
From my fairly limited experience of planetfall the general rules components are similar. Similar weapon options and ranges, similar damage tracks and defensive capabilities. However the dice and firepower ratings are a direct pull from Fleet Battles. Plus things like reaction, different melee, and different force composition make for a more cinematic experience.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:36:04 pm by Quickdraw »

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:58:19 pm »
Zorper could probably give us a good answer to this question; he's the only one in our group (that I know of) who has played several games of both systems.

The biggest difference I'm aware of is that Dirt Fight is 15mm and Planetfall is 10mm.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 05:32:45 pm »
Zorper could probably give us a good answer to this question; he's the only one in our group (that I know of) who has played several games of both systems.

The biggest difference I'm aware of is that Dirt Fight is 15mm and Planetfall is 10mm.

Another big difference is, of course, the fact that Dirt Fight uses Halo dice vice D6s for Planetfall. This also means that Planetfall uses the same exploding dice mechanic as Spartan's other non-Halo games.

zorper

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 01:27:47 am »
My opinion on the PlanetFall and Dirt Fight deltas:

-The reaction mechanic dominates Dirt Fight, and I think it works very well.  I don't know if it would work with PlanetFall, some units are dependent on showing up and hitting you immediately (Dale....)

-The Halo dice make things less over the top.  Again, I think that works well.

-Dirt Fight units can move flat out and move in any direction.  You have to move in a straight line for flat out in PlanetFall.  I think that PlanetFall captures large machines lumbering across the field better than Dirt Fight.

-Everything is more squishy in Dirt Fight.  I can see pro and con for that.  Frustrating to see your guys die.  Good to see a good sized game over in less than three hours.

Other notes:

-We need more terrain on the board.  We need to develop the concept of large areas of cover, like a particular large area being designated as rocky and providing heavy cover, or large stands of trees giving light over.

-I think that the UNSC can hold ground well, but I don't think any of us are using the Covenant the way we need to be.  I keep thinking of them as humans that I am trying to keep alive.  They are actually religious fanatics that should charge en masse at a particular objective, using the bodies of the ones in front as cover. 

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 02:14:14 am »
"Using the bodies of the ones in front as cover." That's awesome.

Agreed on the terrain. Again, I think this is a holdover from all my fleet-based gaming--I'm used to thinking about terrain in terms of what I can get behind to block line of sight (islands, space stations, asteroids, etc), not necessarily something I can get in to provide cover.