Author Topic: Greetings from California  (Read 1115 times)

Rindis

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Greetings from California
« on: June 03, 2016, 10:25:04 pm »
Just found this site through Seth's great blog post about the Naval War College's Jutland war game reenactment.

I've been in wargaming most of my life (since the late 70's), and one of my first games was War at Sea, so naval matters have always been of interest to me. (One of the first serious history books I read was The Naval War Against Hitler, for obvious reasons.) I also played a few games using Pratt's rules, and still have a couple of 1:2400 GHQ minis (one needs a gun barrel repair). Mostly though, I just don't have the time, space, money, or inclination for minis, so I'm generally a boardgamer.

I was a little surprised to see SF games on the blog; it's nice to see a expansive definition of naval wargames here. :) To that end, I've been involved in Star Fleet Battles and Federation and Empire off and on for decades.

I've also played one game of Flying Colors, and would like to get some more in. And I have a blog of my own; most all the gaming stuff is also BoardGameGeek, but I'd be willing to re-post some of the better naval-related pieces here as well.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: Greetings from California
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 02:25:35 pm »
Welcome aboard! Yeah, we try to be broad-based here at MBS, so there is a little of everything. Feel free to post links to your blog here if you like!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 05:17:05 pm »
Aye, welcome aboard! Glad you found our little corner of the internet.

As Ruckdog said, we try to incorporate all types of "ship" games here at MBS...whether they are ocean-going ships, airships, spaceships, or even landships.

Currently, naval-related boardgaming is not very well represented on MBS, and Ruckdog and I have been discussing that issue here recently. Certainly, if you have thoughts on the topic that you'd like to share, or reviews of/recommendations for naval-themed boardgames, it would be great to hear them.

Again, welcome!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Rindis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 01:01:10 am »
At the moment, the bulk of my naval-related gaming is SF too.

But I am hoping to get in some Flying Colors soon, which is good old fashioned Age of Sail. Here's my previous experience:
Cape Henry

For SF ship-to-ship, I mostly play SFB. The more recent entries for that are the more interesting ones, as I've got some good diagrams of the movement.

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 12:15:23 am »
Welcome Rindis!  SFB/F&E/FC player here too...  Well, only a few games in the last 10 years or so, many more 25+ years ago.  Ever use the PBEM system?

Rindis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 09:52:26 pm »
No, I'd probably play a bit more if SFB wasn't such an action-heavy game, and regular PBeM would work. I've never even gotten around to trying SFBOL, mostly because my regular opponents aren't willing to go for it. I do have a homebrew Vassal module that we use (which is where the graphics in my blog posts come from) purely for online play.