Author Topic: Pieprophet's Federated States of America  (Read 2280 times)

Pieprophet

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Pieprophet's Federated States of America
« on: October 28, 2015, 06:03:50 am »
Hello everyone! For anyone who read my recent post in the introductions section, some of this may be a tad redundant. I have been playing Dystopian Wars for a little less than a year now, and have in all that time, one finished painting one squadron of ships, my Revere Class Corvettes. I just recently started painting again, and as my Augusta Class Frigates near completion, I thought it might be time to start a painting log, in the hopes that posting pictures of my finished progress will help keep me motivated to improve, and reminded to paint.

With all that said, onto the pictures!

First up is a group shot of my Reveres, so far the only fully painted ships I have, though hopefully I'll have that fixed tonight or tomorrow.

A solo shot of one of the Reveres. I like to think the ship is idling in the harbor there.

Along with more finished ships, I hope to have names for these ships soon, but I have not come up with anything I like yet, so that will have to wait, for now. My priority right now is just to get some things painted, and hopefully improve while i do it. On that note, criticism or advice is appreciated, I'm still a nooby painter, and I know it.

captainrockman

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Pieprophet's Federated States of America
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 02:33:47 pm »
Welcome to the forums! I like your paint scheme. It looks very clean and natural. I like your play mat as well. I bet its fun to play on, and makes for a great backdrop for you pictures.

Are you in the Denver area?

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 03:25:41 pm »
Welcome! Looks like you are off to a good start! FSA is my first faction choice, so always like seeing other folks schemes.
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Pieprophet

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 08:01:04 pm »
Thanks, thank you for the welcome, and all the compliments. The mat is actually a cloth cover at my FLGS, so while i do play on it with some frequency (and it is fun to play on), it's not actually mine. I took my models in to photograph, since between the mat, the terrain, and the surprisingly good lighting, it's better than anything I could set up at home. Once they are done (just some touch ups, a wash, and some windows) my Augustas will get the same treatment, should be tomorrow.

Also, sadly, I am not in the Denver area, my buddy was just visiting family out there, sounded beautiful ( he would not shut up about how much he wants to move there).

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 12:21:27 pm »
Very nice highlighting on the metal there. I wouldn't have considered bare metal for the hull myself (seems like it would get rather rusty), but you've made it look good. The decks look a bit too bright for me, but I'm betting that's got something to do with the lighting washing it out a little since it looks like you've run a brown wash to pick out the crevices between deck boards and I can just barely notice that in areas.

I was just in Denver for a corporate event, it seems very clean for a major city. Only complaints were the traffic and the people at the airport gas station handing out pot gummies.  ::)
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Pieprophet

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 11:07:05 pm »
Thanks Andrew, for my navy, I'm taking as much inspiration as i can from civil war ironclads, so far I'm happy with the results. I do feel like i need some better pictures to show the deck, the whole thing washed heavily with black wash, which is not shown well. I may take another round of pictures at some point, see if i can do a better job.

On a related note, the Augustas are done, I just have not had a chance to take any pictures yet, expect them tomorrow.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 10:19:25 pm »
Looking good! The FSA were my first fleet as well, although I've not yet settled on a good scheme for them. It will be a variation on wood and metal, similar to yours, I just have to figure out the right colors to use. And I get distracted by other painting projects.  :(
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Pieprophet

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 12:42:17 am »
Thanks Landlubber, and distraction happens, a lot. For me anyway. I have several armies for different games, and I've had trouble getting any of them painted, I get distracted by books and video games a lot, among other things, including just the general minutia of life. But I'm working on that.

I managed to get into the store today, and actually managed to get a game in (well, part of one anyway, silly store, wanting to close on time XD). I didn't wind up going to take pics until after the game, at which point, I was in quite a rush. I only got a group pic, and my buddy took that one for me, since for some reason I was shaking like mad. I will be taking a solo shot of one of the Augustas for more detail at some point, but for now, here is this.

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:06:53 pm »
Your FSA do looks good and clean. The simple pallete is nice.