Author Topic: G'day  (Read 2419 times)

Camthalion

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
G'day
« on: April 30, 2012, 04:22:03 am »
G'day all from Downunder.  Have been gaming for a while and naval has been my preferred type of games.  Lately however naval miniatures are the only gaming pieces I have wanted to work on at all.  I have mainly historical stuff, though one day want to start some fantasy/sci fi style fleets.  My main interest is 1/2400 in many eras and 20mm WW2 coastal.  Pretty good to find  a forum devoted to naval gaming.

Geoff

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: G'day
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:00:47 am »
Welcome aboard Geoff! I do believe you are our first member from outside the US ;). What brand of 1/2400 minis do  you prefer? I've got a few WWII ships from GHQ that I've painted up in the past, but I'm not "up" on all the various historical manufacturers.

Camthalion

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:50:53 am »
GHQ are certainly my preferred brand.  I like how they make up into nice little models as well as gaming pieces.   I am however happy to use other brands. 
For WW2 and WW1: I have GHQ and Panzerschiffe.
Modern: GHQ and Sea Wulf
Pre WW1:  Hallmark/Figurehead and Tumbling Dice. 
I've been collecting them for a while now so have quite a few done and many more in the to do pile.  I'm a memebr of a couple of gaming forums, but its nice to see one devoted to naval gaming.

Geoff

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:10:18 pm »
Welcome aboard!  I'm interested in what you're doing with your pre-WWI models.  I've been looking at pre-dreadnought models for some time, but I wonder that the 1/2400 scale stuff is a bit on the small side when it comes to representing secondary armaments and all the rigging and torpedo nets, etc.  I've been tinkering with some relatively nice paper models, but I may need to do a bit more searching for manufacturers.  Any preferred rule sets you enjoy playing?

Camthalion

• Lieutenant J.G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:31:46 pm »
I just used pre-WW1 in this instance to cover my models from then back through to the age of sail.  I have some ironclads ACW, European and some South American.  I have both fleets for the battle of Lissa done.  Also some Napoleonic sail.  they are small and I'm still toying with the idea of trying rigging, but I like to have as many of my minis at the same scale as possible.  It is the slowest moving era that I'm doing as I'm concentrating on mainly WW2 and post WW2.

Geoff

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:46 pm »
I just used pre-WW1 in this instance to cover my models from then back through to the age of sail.

Then your modelling covers quite a range of periods.  I just ordered my first sets of 17th century galleons in 1/2400 scale, something which should look fine without rigging, because getting into the classical Napoleonic ships at something like 1/1200 scale feels a bit daunting.  And I'm eager to try playing Spanish Fury: Sail with some models other than cardboard counters.

Any particular reason you are concentrating on the more modern ships?  My level of interest in ships, especially when it comes to modelling, drops off with the 20th century; maybe I read too many Horatio Hornblower novels at too young an age?

Thanks for posting pictures in the showcase section.  I hope to have some pictures to post in this forum soon; I'm still very new to the hobby, but seeing pictures of finished models, from any period, certainly inspires me.